Weather Stations

Reaction score
This frog is using an older version of the Sainlogic Wireless Weather Station with Outdoor Sensor from amazon.com

The older version uses 433 MHz to communicate from the station to the base unit.
Home Assistant uses the RTL433 package to convert the received 433 MHz data to MQTT sensor messages.
The MQTT sensor is then directly referencable in Home Assistant.

It appears for the same $139 price, the newer version has a better indoor base unit, which connects to Windows via USB.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice looking station, looking forward to hearing of its success and your satisfaction...keep us informed!

I had a Davis VantageVue for about 9 years until lighting (I think) got it. I've been using a Ambient Weather WS-2902C since Dec. of 2020.

Any info yet on your unit's API and possibility of integrating with Blue Iris Tools, Home Assistant or other home automation programs?

I think this is also good that they have this accessory below available; obviously it's already been an issue for someone, somewhere.

Bird Deterrent Accessory

View attachment 131424
I hear good things about the Davis Instruments stations and 9 years backs that up!

Integrations so far are Google Home, Alexa and IFTTT. I’m guessing IFTTT will get you there but not familiar with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Update on my Tempest weather station now that we’ve had rain for the first time in two months.

The haptic rain measurement gives instant feedback when the rain begins. The tipping bucket ones take a bit to measure the rainfall. My Netatmo rain gauge took about 15 minutes longer to report rainfall.

I’m not sure about the accuracy of rainfall measurement. Appears to under report it based on what my neighbor tells me he is getting. I need to get an old school rain gauge to compare it to.

I really like the historical reports. Quick and easy way to see our high temp so far……108.2°.

Wind measurement is another nice/standard feature. I don’t have any way to validate the accuracy but it seems to report low……I know seat of the pants but that’s my impression.

The integration with my Hunter Hydrawise sprinkler timer was pretty straight forward.

Overall happy with the product. Pretty good bang for the buck. Time will tell if it’s going to last.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Update on my Tempest weather station now that we’ve had rain for the first time in two months.

The haptic rain measurement gives instant feedback when the rain begins. The tipping bucket ones take a bit to measure the rainfall. My Netatmo rain gauge took about 15 minutes longer to report rainfall.

I’m not sure about the accuracy of rainfall measurement. Appears to under report it based on what my neighbor tells me he is getting. I need to get an old school rain gauge to compare it to.

I really like the historical reports. Quick and easy way to see our high temp so far……108.2°.

Wind measurement is another nice/standard feature. I don’t have any way to validate the accuracy but it seems to report low……I know seat of the pants but that’s my impression.

The integration with my Hunter Hydrawise sprinkler timer was pretty straight forward.

Overall happy with the product. Pretty good bang for the buck. Time will tell if it’s going to last.

YOu need one of these to check the rain accuracy. Mounted within a foot or two away from the Tempest, and ideally the same height.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The rain gauges from CoCoRaHS are every bit as accurate as as the certified NWS Co-Op gauges are. I did the NWS Co-Op thing for a few years and side by side measurement, they were spot on with each other.
Yep, I've had a CoCoRaHS gauge for probably 15-20 yrs. And as an aside, I use it to double check the rain gauge on the Ambient Weather Ws-2000 station, the ambient will always be within .01 plus or minus in relation to the CoCoRaHS.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, I've had a CoCoRaHS gauge for probably 15-20 yrs. And as an aside, I use it to double check the rain gauge on the Ambient Weather Ws-2000 station, the ambient will always be within .01 plus or minus in relation to the CoCoRaHS.
I am on my second CoCoRaHS gauge. I had my first one for about 12 years, nothing was wrong with it until I accidentally ran over it with the tractor about 4 years ago.... It probably would have still worked and been just as accurate if I had put it back up, but that gave me an excuse to order a bright, shiny new one......;)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am on my second CoCoRaHS gauge. I had my first one for about 12 years, nothing was wrong with it until I accidentally ran over it with the tractor about 4 years ago.... It probably would have still worked and been just as accurate if I had put it back up, but that gave me an excuse to order a bright, shiny new one......;)
Yeah I'm going to have to throw mine down in the yard so it gets ran over I think, it's getting a really faded and hard to read without taking it apart.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Started here with a 1-Wire AAG weather station in the 1990's. Then went to a Davis Weather station in the early 2000's. I also added a 1-wire lightning sensor, 1-Wire Dallas instruments tipping bucket and digital rain guage over the years.

Today continue to use a serial to console connection and a Meteo Hub. CumulusMX, uploads to NOAA and personal web site. I use the data for irrigation system. The software is using E.T. (Evapotranspiration)

It is also connected to Homeseer and Home Assistant.

I also installed an SDR / RPI device in the attic for downloading NOAA satellite images.

Thing about the Davis analogue weather station is maintenance and cleaning the tipping bucket. I did have a hawk eat my wind cups one day. I like the reads better from the tipping bucket than the digital rain sensor. The digital rain sensor did read fog but it wasn't that accurate with rain compared to the two tipping buckets. For local use for irrigation it is better to use a local installed weather station than the cloud. That said in FL weather on the gulf never had problems. Noticed too that the old marine stations still utilized David and would store data on the web sites. You just had to find it.

I would utilize this weather station and mine at one time.

Last edited: