WDR vs SSA

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting. So it just appears that SSA is Auto-WDR. So in SSA you could be anywhere on the WDR scale, just like running your exposure in Auto. It would be nice if they could give a manual SSA where you could set the range for how much WDR to apply.
You mean like just plain, old WDR but it gets applied when the camera thinks it's necessary?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So I think its one of those things that for 90% of locations its more trouble than its worth. BUT in my carport it seems to be doing well. From bright sun through an hour of moderate rain clouds it never once actually shut off like it did to @Ri22o . I think that would be a dealbreaker for me. And because its variable is what makes it better in that location than straight fixed WDR.

Still Im gonna watch it for a few days and see how it does

Last edited:

chops101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've played with SSA, I use it for daytime only as it brings out the shadows.
Night forget it, way too much noise for the street cam (fixed B5442E-SE , 3.6), and the noise was unpredictable and variable. Could not find a sweet spot that would last all night.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I find WDR-25 to be the best general setting. SSA can look nice and show lots of brightness in the shadows, but it is almost too much. And most importantly, I end up with SSA cameras often doing a 'hunt' or fresh brightness calibration every so often, say once every 30 minutes: they go full bright white, then quickly dim down to the normal image.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
My experience with WDR is it’s very much based on the camera and the scene. Not all Dahua cameras treat the WDR setting intensity the same. Some I have set on 1 others 10, others 20-40

Again I only use it during the day, and only when absolutely necessary.

I haven’t experienced that with SSA on the one and only camera I have it turned on, so far after adjusting saturation and white balance it’s doing well.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if you dont change WB from Auto it may play games.... I set mine to manual and adjusted that way with fixed settings and its doing well.