WD Purple Hard Drive NVR and DVR

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm planning on buying this WD Purple 4TB hard drive for use with my Intel i5 windows desktop (running Blue Iris or Smart PSS).

I noticed that this drive comes in two variants:

One variant is for DVR and one is for NVR (and is more expensive).
Which one is recommended in my case? They both seem similar in size etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm still looking for this answer (as I'm ready to order).
If someone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
[h=3]Surveillance Drives[/h]The Surveillance drives from WD are designed and optimized specifically for recording surveillance or other video footage. In many ways the Surveillance line is very similar to the NAS Storage line except that the Purples drives use the "AllFrame Technology" firmware which is designed to reduce error pixilation and video interruptions that occur when desktop hard drives are incorrectly used as storage in security systems.
[h=3][Detailed Info][/h]
[h=3]WD Purple: Home or Small Business Surveillance[/h]The standard WD Purple drives are recommended for surveillance systems that use up to 32 cameras. Like the WD Red drives, they include vibration protection through WD's "3D Active Balance Plus" technology which allows for up to eight drives to be safely used in a system. In addition, they support TLER which allows for the use of these drives in RAID arrays.
The WD Purple drives come with a three year warranty and capacities ranging from 1TB to 6TB. They are also very affordable and are only slightly more expensive than WD Red or WD Green drives.
CapacityBudgetPerformanceQuiet OperationLow Power / HeatVibration Protection
1TB -
6TB

[h=3][Detailed Info][/h]
[h=3]WD Purple NV: NVR (Network Video Recorder) Surveillance[/h]The WD Purple NV drives are slightly more capable versions of the WD Purple drives and are recommended for surveillance systems that use up to 64 cameras. Like WD Purple drives, these drives support TLER which allows for the use of these drives in RAID arrays. However, unlike Purple drives they include RAFF technology which means you can use an unlimited number of them in a system or rackmount.
An additional feature of the WD Purple NV drives is the use of tarnish resistant components. According to WD, the WD Purple NV drives offer premium protection in harsh environments where surveillance systems are commonly installed including outdoor cabinets where moisture and other natural elements may be present.
Cost and power draw is slightly higher compared to WD Purple drives, but performance, noise, and reliability is nearly identical. The WD Purple NV drives come with a three year warranty and are only available in 4TB and 6TB capacities.
CapacityBudgetPerformanceQuiet OperationLow Power / HeatVibration Protection
4TB &
6TB

Excellent
Decent
Below Average

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The NV drives are simply designed for giant storage arrays, when you have a ton of platters spinning in the same enclosure there are resonance issues..

Only people really interested in NV drives are municipalities or large corporations whom have hundreds or thousands of cameras.