Way overpriced, why should I pay for BI subscription renewal?

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You are very confused. Blue iris is not subscription based. Your license is good in perpetuity. You dont expect free updates for life do you? If you do, there is one vms that provides updates for life but its not free, nothing is - its front loaded into the per camera license fee. Nxwitness sold in north america by digital watchdog as ipvms. While they used to be cheap at around 70 bux a camera, the license is now about 120 per cam. If 30 bux for blue iris updates is too much for you, I dont see how you are willing to pay 1200...fyi, if you use blue iris with substreams for matrix view and motion processing, it will use the same cpu as milestone - that is how milestone has the low cpu.
My expectations are pretty low these days :lol: :lmao:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's funny that this popped up in my inbox. I had just submitted an issue with the mobile app cutting off the camera feed image if my phone is portrait but the feed is fine in landscape. I simply was informing support that there is an issue not really looking for support.
My support window ended last year BUT I thought I could still at least install updates to the software. NOPE! Could have sworn I saw somewhere that updates could be installed for the same major version number...which is what I would expect. Nope!

I am ticked that I wasted money on the mobile app and refuse to give them any more of my money.
Good April Fool's joke, but I am not sure it will have tricked anyone here.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I was gonna tell him to fuck off....But then I took the politically correct approach...I bought it hook, line , and sinker LOL

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Whatever man. This was no April fools joke. I would hope and expect that I could install updates for the current major version (5). I like BI just not happy with the inability to install updates.
My support window ended last year BUT I thought I could still at least install updates to the software. NOPE! Could have sworn I saw somewhere that updates could be installed for the same major version number...which is what I would expect. Nope!

I am ticked that I wasted money on the mobile app and refuse to give them any more of my money.
Obviously you thought wrong. You know what happens when you assume....It is clear on the website and the helpfile.

Most here do not view it the way you do.

You paid for a program and can continue to use it long past the year - you just cannot update it to any version past your expiration date. You can update it to any available version up to when your one year expired. Depending on when you bought it, that could be dozens of updates available to you.

You can find the updates here - simply find the latest one up until your year is up and update to that version:

Blue Iris Updates (64 bit) - History

This has always been the case with BI, but up until about 2 years ago, the BI developer never enforced it but now does, but it was always there....

Contrast that with other VMS that if you do not renew, the program goes blank. Go buy some Ring or Nest platform and see what happens if you do not pay when the year is up...

From the help file (page 216):

A license includes basic support and maintenance which means access to email software support and same-version updates for one year from first activation.

Further, the BI website clearly shows that purchasing the one year license does not protect you from MAJOR VERSION UPGRADE PROTECTION.

1638807436716.png

So either use the link above to update to the version closest to, but not beyond when your one year was up, or cough up the $30 to continue with current updates. Or try to find a comparable system that costs less than this program that keeps working after one year....

BTW most here do not run the latest version. Once we find a stable version, we stay on it until something is added in an update that makes it worth someone's time to upgrade.

I was on an older BI5 version until the substreams option was introduced - that was a game changer so I updated to that update. Then I sat on that update version until DeepStack came out.

But if you find Blue Iris to be trash, please go try out Ring or Arlo or some other VMS and tell us how it works out when you quit paying....

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Lashing out at others after discovering you were wrong. Nice.

Captain Wittaj Obvious! (the III? By chance?) Got a nice ring to it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lashing out at others after discovering you were wrong. Nice.

Captain Wittaj Obvious! (the III? By chance?) Got a nice ring to it.
The state of our current society unfortunately. Nobody want's to take responsibility for their actions and are quick to pass the blame on to others.

In this case, it isn't even the "fine print" LOL. It is right there big and bold on the BI website and in the manual, not buried away in the Terms and Conditions that nobody reads LOL...

This was in the funny/satire thread and seems appropriate LOL

1648834548476.png

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Agreed! Appetite for humble pie seems to be evident only in small numbers.

He does deserve some credit, for admission of wrongery admitting he was wrong.