Waving Hello

Maxgyver

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello one and all from the deep woods and plush pastures of Oregon's "Big Foot" region. Did "he" spark my interest in video or surveillance - well no, however the amazing wild life and our proximity to all things of nature has kept things interesting and promoted observation to a new level since our well documented _ _ ___ governor has locked up what sane people still reside and try to make a living in Oregon.
Politics aside - I'm an baby boomer aged Veteran who definitely will be asking for guidence with Blue Iris and use of Wifi PTZ cams - I'm more than a little over-whelmed by the the non-stop jumps in tech. Anyone out there mourning the passing of Windows 98 or at least remember DOS? :rolleyes:

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the forum. There are many of us on here in the same age group as you. If you haven't checked it out yet the wiki at the top of the page has a lot of info you may find useful.

Maxgyver

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the forum. There are many of us on here in the same age group as you. If you haven't checked it out yet the wiki at the top of the page has a lot of info you may find useful.
I definitely will be using that tool, thanks! Most of my issues are likely simple for those with experience. Selecting cameras, routers, and trying to program BI to do what we need. Funny, but again I'm back to study study study ..... and y wife LOVES it! LOL That or she just wants better video of which critter is munching on her garden before we get to harvest some of it! LOL

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
We were amazed at the wildlife around our home that we were unaware of until we got security cameras.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome! I agree, surveillance is definitely made fun by catching wildlife. Even something as simple as a couple of rabbits or squirrels in the yard provide lots of entertainment for my wife and myself. You will definitely find a lot of assistance on this site. In addition to the wiki page that @gwminor48 mentioned, you will find a plethora of knowledge and guidance in the forum sections.

Maxgyver

n3wb
Reaction score
I just did look at the "new" Dahua that's being released. Has some huge 1/1.2 sensor and we live and die by night vision capability. Presently have a (mediocre at best) SV3C 5X PTZ and what I deem as decent Amcrest IP2 - 858 which is doing well. Both at used with Wifi and while response can get somewhat glitchie, the Amcrest has been a solid performer in manual mode. In surveillance mode, the files are being generated as singles instead of combined or accrued - got to get that working better or order another mouse and line up a good Doc for carpal tunnel! But over all - the wife and I smile a little more and have become more in tune with the ranch - so win win even with the side tracks. Blue Iris REALLY helped - now I just need a class in using it.

Maxgyver

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome! I agree, surveillance is definitely made fun by catching wildlife. Even something as simple as a couple of rabbits or squirrels in the yard provide lots of entertainment for my wife and myself. You will definitely find a lot of assistance on this site. In addition to the wiki page that @gwminor48 mentioned, you will find a plethora of knowledge and guidance in the forum sections.
My exploration into the world of surveillance started a couple years ago as we watched Bald Eagles swoop down on (and carry off) some of our neighbors newly born kid goats. Since then, we've been able to get recordings of so many wild and amazing wild life "experiences" there are times when I'm amazed for any animals survival! Watching wild turkeys herding deer, crows literally using some bird version of karate on vultures, or finding we have absolutely adorable flying squirrels raiding our game feeders at night - it's been eye opening and addicting! Kinda nice to know people are out here sharing in some of the amazing displays. Well those, and busting the USPS "person" who claimed to have delivered something she might have sold! THAT video opened an entire kettle of fish!!! LOL

Maxgyver

n3wb
Reaction score
I programmed in assembly on a CP/M computer...
Does that mean you make right those things people like me screw up....repeatedly!??!!
LOL J/K.. no one can screw things up like I do! Am trying to figure out WHAT changed that is now causing shirt clips (multitudes of 10-13 clips) which used to blend to a single video which included several time clips. .. coffee.... and maybe something stronger, but I'm working on this now. My poor HD now reflects 1400+ files added, and it's growing....LOL