Waterproofing camera junction boxes

mooch91

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought some Dahua PFA130-E junction boxes for the purpose of under-soffit mounting my new Dahua and Amcrest cameras.

These are beautiful aluminum boxes. Trouble is, I can't figure out how you are to make this box "waterproof" when using the back side knockout. It comes sealed with a felt backing, but as soon as you break that seal to pass the ethernet cable through, it's subject to water intrusion. I was not planning to bring my ethernet cable through in any sort of conduit since it's coming direct from the attic space.

On the camera side there is a nice rubber grommet for around the camera wire that should keep water out in that direction. Just nothing for the back side.

Any suggestions? I know I can weatherproof the connection within the box, but I'd like to keep the water out altogether.

Thanks!

1651891128496.png
1651891163309.png

Last edited:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Id say stuff it with plumbers putty after its mounted, unless you can find a stopper with a hole in it that will fit. not much room in there for cable/connectors already.

I also drill a small hole in the bottom plastic cap for water to drain out if it does get in. But sound like you are not going to get much water under a soffit. also a small pea sized glob of dielectric grease into the female rj45 of camera is good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I mounted mine to the soffit and brought the cable in from that same hole. I used some silicone caulk between the soffit and the box. Basically, just drew a bead around the hole on the back of the box about a quarter of an inch from the hole and shoved it against the soffit and screwed it down.

They have been up there since 2018 and not had any issues.

DSC_4467.JPG

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Remember still to put di-electric gel in the RJ45 boot and wrap the RJ45 connection with silicone stretch tape / coax seal .. and perhaps a bit of electrical tape over that ..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Remember still to put di-electric gel in the RJ45 boot and wrap the RJ45 connection with silicone stretch tape / coax seal .. and perhaps a bit of electrical tape over that ..
+1^^.
And if your're going to Lowes or HD for the GB Duct Seal that @sebastiantombs suggested, maybe read this first for more specific pigtail-to-RJ45 waterproofing instructions with product links for those items needed. :cool:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I personally have never had good results with drilling small drain holes at bottom or low point of a box for the purpose of allowing water a way out. Even small drain holes in a box may be too small for the condensate to exit due to the water's surface tension and lack of positive pressure to force it out. By the time I'd get the hole big enough to overcome those 2 factors (surface tension of water, no positive pressure in box), it was letting in bugs, spiders, bees, wasps, etc. who brought with them their own problems.

But that's been my experience, YMMV. :cool:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I personally have never had good results with drilling small drain holes at bottom or low point of a box for the purpose of allowing water a way out. Even small drain holes in a box may be too small for the condensate to exit due to the water's surface tension and lack of positive pressure to force it out. By the time I'd get the hole big enough to overcome those 2 factors (surface tension of water, no positive pressure in box), it was letting in bugs, spiders, bees, wasps, etc. who brought with them their own problems.

But that's been my experience, YMMV. :cool:
The water tension theory actually crossed my mind a few times as I was drilling small 1/8 to 3/16 holes in the plugs. Makes sense though. Dont think I will waste my time with that anymore.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The water tension theory actually crossed my mind a few times as I was drilling small 1/8 to 3/16 holes in the plugs. Makes sense though. Dont think I will waste my time with that anymore.
Seems to work OK though when there's no tight covers topside or it's all sealed up above the hole(s) so atmosphere can get behind the water. But if it's open topside, here comes the bugs anyway!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My experience with drain holes has been that a hole smaller than 1/4" is too small to be effective due to the surface tension of water. 1/4" is plenty big enough for ants, wasps, bees, spiders and whatever to get into the box. That can be a very unpleasant surprise when having to do any service to the box and connections inside of it.

mooch91

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Id say stuff it with plumbers putty after its mounted, unless you can find a stopper with a hole in it that will fit. not much room in there for cable/connectors already.

I also drill a small hole in the bottom plastic cap for water to drain out if it does get in. But sound like you are not going to get much water under a soffit. also a small pea sized glob of dielectric grease into the female rj45 of camera is good.
Exactly what I'll do - I have a wad of duct seal that I will use for this purpose, thanks!

I don't know how to prevent straining the cables on the Amcrest cameras when I stuff them up in there - not much room to get a nice sweep with the RJ45 and the connector they use...