Water got in connector!

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now it's missing a pin! Where can you buy the a small female end like the ones that come on our IP Cameras? Camera still works btw.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You may be able to rebuild it with a keystone jack. Be careful to map the pins correctly to the way they are wired now. It may be stranded wire in there, so it will be delicate work.

I once had to replace a dongle on a different camera for very similar reasons of water damage. The camera was extremely intermittent afterward, often putting some kind of noise on the line and causing everything else on the LAN to stop responding for minutes or hours at a time. It doesn't strike me as likely behavior, but I mention it just in case you see the same thing after rebuilding your dongle.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You may be able to rebuild it with a keystone jack. Be careful to map the pins correctly to the way they are wired now. It may be stranded wire in there, so it will be delicate work.

I once had to replace a dongle on a different camera for very similar reasons of water damage. The camera was extremely intermittent afterward, often putting some kind of noise on the line and causing everything else on the LAN to stop responding for minutes or hours at a time. It doesn't strike me as likely behavior, but I mention it just in case you see the same thing after rebuilding your dongle.
I'll keep that in mind but i can't find any decent water tight housing that's not massive. Are keystone jacks the only thing available for the female end? Doesn't seem like that would be very good outside in the weather.

BTW do you think the cameras warranty would cover it?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No warranty will cover this. This connection should be wrapped with coax seal so water does not get in.

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hubbell Premise makes some watertight network cabling jacks and plugs. They probably approach the cost of a new camera though.

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hubbell Premise makes some watertight network cabling jacks and plugs. They probably approach the cost of a new camera though.
What is that grease like stuff you can put in the connectors to stop moisture?

I might just run a hole new cord from the cameras pcb board would assume it's soldered on.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is that grease like stuff you can put in the connectors to stop moisture?
Its dielectric grease...you dont need it tough...what was this connector wrapped in before the water got inside? This issue only occurs when the camera is not properly installed.

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its dielectric grease...you dont need it tough...what was this connector wrapped in before the water got inside? This issue only occurs when the camera is not properly installed.
It was not wrapped in anything. I had it in what i thought was a water tight box instead the box held water so the connector was under water! It's my own fault for not checking on it.

I ended up soldering a CAT5E cable to the cameras exsting cable because the cable was to short to just add a end to so now i have a split exposed to the weather i heatshrinked each wire individually then heatshrinked the whole cable now i have some coax seal to wrap it with but im debating about using electronic potting epoxy instead anyone ever used the stuff? It's pretty extreme.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It was not wrapped in anything. I had it in what i thought was a water tight box instead the box held water so the connector was under water! It's my own fault for not checking on it.

I ended up soldering a CAT5E cable to the cameras exsting cable because the cable was to short to just add a end to so now i have a split exposed to the weather i heatshrinked each wire individually then heatshrinked the whole cable now i have some coax seal to wrap it with but im debating about using electronic potting epoxy instead anyone ever used the stuff? It's pretty extreme.
There is not need for epoxy or anything else..just use the coax tape...I always make a drain hole on the bottom of the junction boxes for any water to escape...

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is not need for epoxy or anything else..just use the coax tape...I always make a drain hole on the bottom of the junction boxes for any water to escape...
Should I do that on the plastic ones too? I assumed they were supposed to be water tight and ran a little silicone around all the joints.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Should I do that on the plastic ones too? I assumed they were supposed to be water tight and ran a little silicone around all the joints.
Technically they should be water tight, but it doesnt hurt to add coax tape.

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does coax tape ever harden up? It still feels sticky and rubbery it's been over 48hrs since applied.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If it is anything like some plumbing tape I was using earlier, it will be soft and sticky in 20 years.

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok thanks for the info.....Vector i had already pined out the connector but it would have saved me a lot of time :)

BTW my cable has a short in it now somewhere and it's underground so there's no fixing it. My cable tester says pin 1,2,4 are open.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What about dipping in that stuff that you can dip tools into to create rubberized handles on your tools? I've seen other forums use it for different things. Handi dip maybe? It would probably be a pain to get of if you needed to get back into the connector part. Just an idea, look into it before you do it. :)