Wall Mount Dilemma

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So if quicksync is not such a big win anymore, should people be looking at AMD CPU's for BI? I notice that the Ryzen 5 5600G is $150 right now.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I personally don't like the look of a wall mounted racks. They simply stick out too far and unless you can mount them really high they are always in the way. When they are mounted high enough to be out of the way, they are a pain to get to and make changes......

They do make vertical hanging brackets that allow you to mount switches so they hang vertically and only stick out from the wall the amount that they are "tall". Get a 2-4u shallow (like 4-6" deep) bracket to mount your patch panel on, and then use the vertical brackets to hang the switches below them. It takes up far less space IMHO. Basically something like this:

Obviously you'll still have to figure out where to put the computers, but a shelf mounted to the wall should work very well for that purpose.

Last edited:

Theckie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have bought and received the 2U server. Updated the BIOS, IMPI and installed what it can only handle Windows Server 2012 R2. Has 6x 2TB drives, 2 GB NIC ports.

I personally don't like the look of a wall mounted racks. They simply stick out too far and unless you can mount them really high they are always in the way. When they are mounted high enough to be out of the way, they are a pain to get to and make changes....
I totally understand about the issue with wall mount. I consider the mechanical room as a wet area and prefer the electronics to be high off the ground. I believe after everyone's input I will go with either of these two server racks. It is a matter of the weight that determines which. I asked an engineer friend, and I will use a unistrut installed horizontally to spread the ~600lbs potential weight across the hollow(!!!) cmu wall. And I will most likely use Hilti 270 adhesive solution for the 10 anchors into the wall (5 top row, 5 bottom row).

SRW12US33 with 250lbs capacity:

SRW12UHD with 500lbs capacity:

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have bought and received the 2U server. Updated the BIOS, IMPI and installed what it can only handle Windows Server 2012 R2. Has 6x 2TB drives, 2 GB NIC ports.

I totally understand about the issue with wall mount. I consider the mechanical room as a wet area and prefer the electronics to be high off the ground. I believe after everyone's input I will go with either of these two server racks. It is a matter of the weight that determines which. I asked an engineer friend, and I will use a unistrut installed horizontally to spread the ~600lbs potential weight across the hollow(!!!) cmu wall. And I will most likely use Hilti 270 adhesive solution for the 10 anchors into the wall (5 top row, 5 bottom row).

SRW12US33 with 250lbs capacity:

SRW12UHD with 500lbs capacity:
I like adjustable open frame type. And they are not too expensive:

Theckie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wall mounting is ok, as long as the heat is exhausted up. Otherwise the heat will get trapped in the CPU.
I am definitely leaning towards the HD version because it has fans, and the mount is long side which gives me access to both ends. The MEC room does get hot and cold as seasons change. I have a heater but not an AC. Let me get the wash turned back on and a few cars in the bays before I tackle the internal temp of the mech room.

Regarding the adjustable, do you think dust and debris could be an issue? The price is nice!

Theckie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just noticed its depth limit! That was the other thing about wall mounts. There are few options for the ~30" server
Yes , I just notice you bought one of those. The 2U servers are designed to fit into 36-37" deep racks.
Open frame I use to rack Hikvision NVRs.
I would assemble a computer from scratch for a BI/computer NVR using this or a similar case: Rosewill RSV-R4000U 4U Server Chassis Rackmount Case | 8 3.5" HDD Bays, 3 5.25" Devices | ATX, CEB Compatible | 2 Front 120mm Fans, 2 Rear 80mm Fans | USB 3.0, 2.0 | Front Panel Lock | Silver/Black - Newegg.com

Theckie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes , I just notice you bought one of those. The 2U servers are designed to fit into 36-37" deep racks.
Open frame I use to rack Hikvision NVRs.
I would assemble a computer from scratch for a BI/computer NVR using this or a similar case: Rosewill RSV-R4000U 4U Server Chassis Rackmount Case | 8 3.5" HDD Bays, 3 5.25" Devices | ATX, CEB Compatible | 2 Front 120mm Fans, 2 Rear 80mm Fans | USB 3.0, 2.0 | Front Panel Lock | Silver/Black - Newegg.com

I'm pot committed to this server for under $500. I guess I could transplant. But it's really a good start. The tripp depth is 32.5"

Attachments

Theckie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Roughly 10" x 10"
X10SLL-F supermicro board
But if the notion is to transplant, I could just take the drives and abandon the old board. The dual power supply is nice to keep.

I feel like I'm back to analyzing and paralyzing. Lol

Attachments

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Roughly 10" x 10"
X10SLL-F supermicro board
But if the notion is to transplant, I could just take the drives and abandon the old board. The dual power supply is nice to keep.

I feel like I'm back to analyzing and paralyzing. Lol
Micro ATX Form factor.

You can even get away with a rackmount workstation case:

Theckie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Micro ATX Form factor.

You can even get away with a rackmount workstation case
I see your logic, $300 for the case, $200 for the rack puts me at $500 where the other way I would be at $700-900. Soo what about power supply?

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I see your logic, $300 for the case, $200 for the rack puts me at $500 where the other way I would be at $700-900. Soo what about power supply?
Power supply is a standard ATX type. As far as swappable drives, If you really want those bays, I would just cut that case down and mount it above the CPU case with its cover off and run the wires down to the motherboard. But I never seen the real need for hot swappable drives with SATA drives unless you running a data server running stripe+redundant. There are two hard drive controllers on that board two SATA 6Gb and four SATA 3gb ports. I would put the OS on a 2.5" ssd on a 6GB port and the rest Mechanical WD purples. But these controllers+BIOS might not take a drive bigger than 3TB which that is probably why they dumped them so cheaply.

Theckie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Power supply is a standard ATX type. As far as swappable drives, If you really want those bays, I would just cut that case down and mount it above the CPU case with its cover off and run the wires down to the motherboard. But I never seen the real need for hot swappable drives with SATA drives unless you running a data server running stripe+redundant. There are two hard drive controllers on that board two SATA 6Gb and four SATA 3gb ports. I would put the OS on a 2.5" ssd on a 6GB port and the rest Mechanical WD purples. But these controllers+BIOS might not take a drive bigger than 3TB which that is probably why they dumped them so cheaply.
Where was all this knowledge 3 weeks ago? Now what, try to return it on Ebay and build a custom machine? I think I would end up higher cost to recreate.
How about a bit of help on a camera for license plate reading?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive -

LPR

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Where was all this knowledge 3 weeks ago? Now what, try to return it on Ebay and build a custom machine? I think I would end up higher cost to recreate.
How about a bit of help on a camera for license plate reading?
If you want to keep the server you bought and mount it to a wall, you could use something like this to mount it vertically.

Not necessarily that exact model, you would need to make sure it could support the weight but something along those lines.

Your server seems to have come with mounting rails so I would suggest a pair of the above items. One for the front of the server and one for the rear.

Reaction score
Micro ATX Form factor.

You can even get away with a rackmount workstation case:
Realize that the case you linked to has no provision for HDDs. I states:
Storage

• None, case is designed for use of M.2 storage on motherboard