VPN users -- How do you get Images with your Alerts?

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just set up OpenVPN on my router and everything seems to be working well. However, when I'm not home, I don't get images with my push notifications from the Blue Iris app unless the VPN connection is activated on my phone. Is this how it's supposed to behave? Doesn't seem practical to have the VPN activated on the phone all the time. The only other option I can think of for alerts is to turn off push notifications and use text messages (SMS) with images? If you use a VPN, how do you get your images with your alerts?

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the only way ive really found to have it work consistently is to forward a port, which is never recommended, but nothing else has ever worked for me.

from what i can tell, the image isn't 'pushed' to the phone or anything. a push message is sent to the phone with a path (i think), then the app tries to access that path and download the image for the notification relative to the WAN IP: port you have set in the app settings.

edit: i should note i dont currently use a port forward, just noting thats the only thing that seems to work for using Pushes to the app via WAN without constant VPN connection.

Last edited:

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, although I was very happy with the push notifications, I don't think it's worth the risks associated with port forwarding. I think I'm just going to go back to SMS messages with images. Besides having a 5 - 10 second delay, they've worked for me in the past.

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I get alert image locally and when on VPN. Have the same local ip in both WAN and LAN setup in ios BI app.

I have a VPN profile setup that automatically starts VPN when not at home on local wifi.

As far as BI app myserver address is always the same at home or away on cell data or any other wifi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

All descibe the process of an on demand profile for VPN. I used the first link to generate a profile for a L2TP VPN setup on my Ubiquity Router. Can OpenVpn be setup in a similar fashion?

Works great and good WAF as she does not have to do anything to access BI app home or away. Seamless access.

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry did nor see the android forum label using Tapatalk. Not sure if Android has a similar feature. I am talking all IOS.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I haven't been able to find anything similar for Android.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I set up 2 alerts, the BI Push notification and SMS/MMS with alert pic attached. That way I have redundancy in case of 1 failure. I always look at the SMS/MMS pic. I find my SMS message lags the BI push notification by 1 or 2 seconds. I set up different alert tones for each camera with the BI push notifications, so I can tell where there is movement w/o even looking at pic.

nils_92

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a wireguard VPN server setup as it's much faster than openvpn and I do get alert images without portforwarding with no issues I do have wireguard always active but it has settings to exclude or include specific apps(android only) and is not sending data when not needed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting! I'll have to look into Wireguard. I didn't think images worked with any VPN.

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
make sure DATA SAVER is off in your phone settings under Connections ..
I had the same problem, this is what fixed it.

Jagradang

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've setup telegram alerts - It works great and i can get all the images for all alerts on it. I sent the group to remove everything after 7 days so i can get a bit of a history on it too :)

sudo

n3wb
Reaction score
If VPN, firewall settings, and blue iris server settings are correct, then the app will work just like you were home on your network (other than potentially speed).