VPN Primer for Noobs

What VPN Solution are you using?

• Total voters

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No problem. A problem shared is a problem halved... and learning experience.

When you finally reinstalled after deleting all the cache and data, did you install the credentials generated by your router again? It might be worth deleting them from the router and creating a new set?

Poking around OpenVPN For Android, I saw this which could prevent a particular app using the VPN network, when otherwise it would appear that you have tunnelled locally and are good to go.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tried deleting caches, uninstalling, restarting, reinstalling, generating new creds from router, checked to ensure all apps allowed...and nothing...

In the OpenVPN for Android log, there is a "GDG: SIOGIFHWADDR(io) failed" line if that means anything.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The other thing I noticed is that while OpenVPN says it's running, when I go to my browser and try to access say my routers local IP address, or NVR, or whatever, it lags and sometimes connects but most of the time times out.

So clearly something is up with how the S8 is playing with OpenVPN (or OpenVPN for Android).

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmmm...noticed your security patch update is one version ahead of mine. Going to update to the latest patch (not sure why the phone isn't automatically checking and advising there is one available as I have the auto setting on).

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm running out of ideas...

Maybe if you screenshot all the app pages someone who really knows VPN might be able to pick up a problem... or compare with your S6?

Here's a parting thought from the left-field: Connect the VPN of the S6, check it is working with your cam viewer, activate the S6 hotspot, connect the S8 to it, then try to use your cam viewer on the S8.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
....and decided to just do a factory reset...and....same issue. Just makes zero sense whatsoever at this point.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you gone over the same settings that were a problem with the S6 when you first set it up? I was checking your previous posts and saw quite a bit of discussion about getting that to work...

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have the settings in OpenVPN the exact same as my S6, which was only to have AES-CBC cipher algorithm set to on. Outside of that, all settings are default.

Actually, the S6 is now working with default OpenVPN settings (tried setting AES-CBC to off just now) and leaving VPN Protocol as Adaptive. Works fine whereas before these had to be set differently (and tried those in the S8 to no avail).

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The only different I see is that when OpenVPN is running, my S6 uses UDPv4 as the Protocol while my S8 uses UDPv6. If that means anything at all.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmmm...actually that sounds like it is the problem .... now how to fix it as my Router doesn't allow me to set up OpenVPN on UDPv6.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Gargoyle firmware I'm running on my Asus is silent regarding v4/v6... it just offers the blanket selection of UDP. My S8 is connected UDPv6...

I noticed that the log also refers that I'm connected IPv6. Is this interrelated???

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Probably has something to do with a recent update from OpenVPN that is not compatible with the XWRT-Vortex firmware I'm using on my Netgear R7000. Maybe your Gargoyle firmware automatically sets up the OpenVPN on IPv6. I think what's happening is my OpenVPN is on an IPv4 address, and OpenVPN on my S8 is trying to connect via IPv6, and hence causing the issue. I have no idea how to fix it though.

Guess I could try going back to stock firmware or DD-WRT or Tomato, but I went to the Asus firmware as setting up OpenVPN was easy on it whereas I just couldn't get it to work with any of the other firmwares.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I acknowledge I'm heading deeply into talking shit way over my level of understanding... but could it be that your router isn't resolving IPv6 from the DNS servers made available to it?

Screen dump from my awful ISP-provided modem/router:

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
... You are still using the router/gateway function of your ISP provided modem/router? Thought I had to have it in bridge mode for Openvpn to work on my Netgear router.