VPN Help!?!

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have an Orbi RBR750 router and followed the instructions and can not get it connected to a windows 11 computer. What’s the easiest way to setup a VPN? How do you have your VPN setup? I have a new Dahua NVR that I want on a VPN. Thanks a million!!

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
To ensure you have the VPN service up-n-running on your router correctly, I suggest first testing with your iOS or android mobile device connected via your cellular carrier (not your wifi).

If you are testing from a windows 11 computer, it can not be on the local LAN when testing. Go to a friend/families house and connect/test from their network

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Google Search.....

Yes sir! I have done that to a T! The more research I have done sounds like the Orbi system is not great with Windows 11 for some reason. Thank you for sending the links though!!!

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
where is the win 11 computer connected in relation to your "orbi" network?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't have any suggestions on this issue other than to say that I'll generally test my VPN connection by using my phone (which obviously I set up to use the VPN connection). By turning off Wifi and using the cellular data connection, I ensure that my phone is not on the local network. This means it is a valid test to see if the VPN system is working without requiring me to physically leave my house. It certainly makes troubleshooting much easier!

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't have any suggestions on this issue other than to say that I'll generally test my VPN connection by using my phone (which obviously I set up to use the VPN connection). By turning off Wifi and using the cellular data connection, I ensure that my phone is not on the local network. This means it is a valid test to see if the VPN system is working without requiring me to physically leave my house. It certainly makes troubleshooting much easier!
Are you using the VPN that’s built in to a router? If so, what router are you using? Looks like Asus may be the way to go!

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you using the VPN that’s built in to a router? If so, what router are you using? Looks like Asus may be the way to go!
I use the free version of the pfSense firewall software on my my own hardware (ie an older computer). Works great and is extremely flexible.