Voltage for PoE HIK cameras and temperature of camera

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a HIK 2332 PoE camera attached to a HIK NVR DS-7604NI-SEP (integrated PoE switch). The NVR supplies the camera with 49-55V although the camera is specified for 12V PoE supply. Obviously the camera gets from hot in the daylight to very hot at night when the IR lights on. Is this normal? Doesn't this affect the longevity of the camera?

Any experience from other users with high temperatures ?

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IP cameras utilise 48v when powered over ethernet. I can't really comment on the operating temperatures of the camera although I don't recall mine being that hot to touch. I will check tomorrow and advise.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IP cameras utilise 48v when powered over ethernet. I can't really comment on the operating temperatures of the camera although I don't recall mine being that hot to touch. I will check tomorrow and advise.
Do you imply that it should be 48V through the ethernet cable BUT if there is no PoE ability it should be 12V through the pig tail plug at the camera end?
In other words if supply 12V through the ethernet cable the camera will not work OR if I supply 48V at the pig tail plug the camera will be blown?

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you imply that it should be 48V through the ethernet cable BUT if there is no PoE ability it should be 12V through the pig tail plug at the camera end?
More or less. :)

In other words if supply 12V through the ethernet cable the camera will not work OR if I supply 48V at the pig tail plug the camera will be blown?
No idea about that. Maybe wait for some of the more experienced forum members to chime in.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The PoE standard that the Hik 2332 adheres to is 802.3af http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

The camera’s power pigtail accepts 12v DC if you wish to power the camera from an external power supply rather than via PoE.

Sending 12v over Ethernet, or 48v into the power pigtail, is contrary to the specifications, and just asking for trouble. I wouldn’t expect either to provide a workable input power, and I wouldn’t advise taking the not insignificant risk of damaging the camera just to see what would happen.

karateo

n3wb
Reaction score
Just a similar to the topic question.

How to you power your ip cameras?
Do you use this at both ends or just to inject into the ethernet cable?

Same question different approach!
Do you use both connectors at the camera or only the ethernet?

I am asking about the Hik 2032 and 2432

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Either one works, but do not use both at the same time

poe switch or poe nvr with ethernet cable direct to camera (so don't touch power plug)
regular switch, ethernet cable to poe injector then more ethernet to camera (so don't touch power plug)
regular switch, ethernet to camera, wall wart power into power plug (so no power on ethernet)

pcmcg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Should we be adding plastic caps to the power plug when using POE then? I wouldn't want to accidentally create a short with the POE.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
protip: the plastic caps that go over the female ends of RG6 coaxial cables; often come in packages for splitters/grounding bars/surge protectors fit great over the 12v barrel plug and a lil electrical tape pulled tight around the mating joint makes it weatherproof. :)

Lot-of-10pcs-4-way-SAT-signal-amplifier-splitter-SB-2004AMP-font-b-all-b-font.jpg

otherwords cut off a small inch or two of electrical tape, put it on over top the plug and then wrap more tape around the base to secure it.