Vlan question for many cameras.

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a garage with a simple poe switch powering 5 IP cameras that is connected to my house by one CAT6 cable buried underground going into Port 1 on my UDM Pro SE.

If i switch that port to a VLAN will it work since all 5 cameras are connected with one cable and on a simple poe switch?

My cameras are all set to static IPs from what i have read i should use DHCP since they would all get a predetermined IP if on a Vlan.

I think this will work but wanted to ask first.

I have been blocking by IP for years but Vlans seems like a simple way to do it.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If all of the cameras are on that one switch and there are no other devices on that switch then you could switch that port on your UDM to its own vlan and it should work just fine.

I prefer to use DHCP reserved IP addresses, but as long as the addresses you're using for your cameras are not going to change and they are going to be within the vlan, you can do it however you choose.

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is what i was hoping, i did think of a issue though in the garage i have a AP hooked to that switch. It is not currently being used.

If i where to replace the switch in the garage with a Unfi one and assign the AP in the garage to the main Vlan would it work? Or would i be screwed since everything from the garage comes from one CAT6 cable?

Attachments

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
That is what i was hoping, i did think of a issue though in the garage i have a AP hooked to that switch. It is not currently being used.

If i where to replace the switch in the garage with a Unfi one and assign the AP in the garage to the main Vlan would it work? Or would i be screwed since everything from the garage comes from one CAT6 cable?
The physical media doesn't matter. One single cable can carry thousands/millions of VLANs. It's a limitation of the switch not the cable itself.

For an AP, you assigned VLANs to the SSIDs. So you would have SSID "abc" on VLAN 1 and SSID "xyz" on VLAN 2. The switch port that AP connects to would be configured as a trunk port so it would carry all VLANS coming into it. Whatever SSID a client chooses when connected to your AP would then be assigned that specific VLAN.