Vivint installed security camera

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m hoping someone might know this answer. When Vivint installed our cameras, they didn’t place caulk around the top base that is connected to the outside of house.. rain got into our camera, could that have been because it wasn’t properly sealed? If not, any ideas why? Thank you for any info
Bree

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You won't find many vivint users here LOL.

But if it is an outdoor rated camera, caulking around the base connected to the house is more to protect the opening into house from getting wanter for a wired camera than it is to protect the camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that is just the poor quality cameras they use. Caulk at the house wouldn't have prevented that.

I would pressure them since they provided and installed the cameras and if they were not outdoor rated to survive water then it is on them.

Or dump them and stick around here and find much better cameras, but they won't be wifi....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cameras we use survive a flood LOL

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Lucian

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Vivint is pretty much a scamming company and should be avoided. They use high pressure sales tactics. They do terrible install work as well as bilk customers.
We switched from Vivint to suretyhome.com. Easy to convert their Vivint systems which are rebranded anyway. The only good thing I can say is that Vivint did replace defects at no charge. Saved a bundle by switching. Never used their cameras. If I have any problems I usually contact my state attorney general office. That always gets results and it is free. BBB can't bring criminal charges. State AG can.

Last edited:
Reaction score
And is that a hole in the facia board next to the camera from either an existing camera wire or did they mess up when installing and drilled a hole and it wasn't at the right spot?
Omg! I never noticed that! They must have moved it because we’ve never put anything up

Reaction score
Vivint is pretty much a scamming company and should be avoided. They use high pressure sales tactics. They do terrible install work as well as bilk customers.
I regret it every day! We’ve had so much trouble from the beginning! The sensors going off in the middle of the night for no reason camera and main panel going out! Just crap

Reaction score
We switched from Vivint to suretyhome.com. Easy to convert their Vivint systems which are rebranded anyway. The only good thing I can say is that Vivint did replace defects at no charge. Saved a bundle by switching. Never used their cameras. If I have any problems I usually contact my state attorney general office. That always gets results and it is free. BBB can't bring criminal charges. State AG can.
I’ll check them out! Thank you. I was afraid that we were stuck with them because of their equipment. I’ve never thought to call the attorney general they contact them? Ya this all happened while making payment to them..

Reaction score
The cameras we use survive a flood LOL

Is it connected to a system? See we’re need something like that

Reaction score
I’ll check them out! Thank you. I was afraid that we were stuck with them because of their equipment. I’ve never thought to call the attorney general they contact them? Ya this all happened while making payment to them..
Omg! They’re so much cheaper! We pay 70 a month for the same thing they charge for $20.. have you used their products? What do you think?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NO WAY - $500 per camera? And then probably monthly fees? And now you know why they have been sued.

Most of the cameras we recommend are $250 or under and will absolutely blow away the vivint picture quality by a lot.

The camera I showed you that survived a flood is this one: EmpireTech 4K/X This camera sells for $250...

Look at this thread for the review of that camera, along with pics and videos that I assure you are better than what you have now.

That camera can be a standalone, used with an NVR or another VMS like Blue Iris/computer combo. In my experience, once you get past 2 or 3 cameras, you will want some sort of VMS like an NVR or BI/computer. AND NO MONTHLY FEES!!!!! The monthly fee simply serves to let them be the VMS compared to you having your own platform. This means typically lower grade cameras.

See this thread for the typical type of quality we see from these types of cameras. Towards the last page or so was some recent vivint quality (lack of quality) images. But this is what you will see from any consumer based type camera, whether it be Ring, Arlo, or anything cloud based. At night best you will be able to do is tell the police what time something happened.

Then see this thread for the most recommended cameras based on price, performance day and night, and reliability. I have placed a link to each camera and with the exception of the PTZs, every camera on that list is under $250

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.