View conveyor belts on a panel PC

JanL

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello and good day,

I m working on a small project with some IP cameras and need some help and input.
Project is to view conveyor belts on a panel PC. No recording no remote access nothing fancy basically just live viewing on the screen. It will be on a separate network from the rest of the IT.
What is a good windows program to use? All I need is to have the 4 cameras alternation on the screen. The panel pc does not have a lot of power so something that does not need a lot of processing power would be good. I m happy to pay a bit for a good program.

Any Suggestion?

Thanks

Jan

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What operating system is on the "panel PC" ?

Assuming a 1 to 2 second delay that can take place with an IP cam's stream over the network is OK (an analog cam won't have that delay), I'm thinking the free VLC can work...a batch file can launch 4 iterations, 1 for each cam, on the screen. It's small and dependable.

Last edited:

jrczz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are these conveyors within a building or going out to a coal tipple? Is the purpose security or to know they are running? A cheap harbor freight "Cobra" NVR will work. you can log in just using the ip address in the browser from the Computer. Works with Chromium on Knoppix also, so you can run your monitor from the Operating system (Knoppix) without using the hard drive of the computer. (KNOPPIX Download) Download the iso, burn it to a cd then using the really slow running version on the cd, load it to a usb stick which is really fast. Both the dvd version and the cd versions are available. I use the dvd versions. Being old and behind the curve on most everything, I found yesterday, on Amazon, A device that will extend 4 POTS phones and an ethernet connection over fiber for under 4 bills. If you are monitoring a coal tipple this might interest you. Along with a POE hub this should be great for such an application.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a screenshot of 4 VLC instances; they can be resized, dragged anywhere on the desktop, any can be closed or made to always be on top of any other screen, etc.

vlc4-screenshot.jpg

Here's a screenshot of CPU and memory usage with 4 instances running 2 each 2MP cams, a 4MP cam and a 5MB cam, all 3 @ 15FPS; CPU is 3.1%, memory is 883MB:

VLC4-cpu-mem.jpg

Here is an example of the batch file, just plug in your VLC's path, cam's username, password, IP address, RTSP port and RTSP URL for each of the 4 cams. Of course, place 2 "/" after "rtsp:", as forum software won't allow 2 to be displayed consecutively here.

Code:
Start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "rtsp:/username:password@192.168.200.203:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0"

Start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "rtsp:/username:password@192.168.200.204:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0"

Start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "rtsp:/username:password@192.168.200.205:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0"

Start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "rtsp:/username:password@192.168.200.215:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0"

Last edited:

jrczz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
VLC runs on knoppix, the advantage of running knoppix is it runs on about anything, I use 10 year old computers to perform most tasks like printing, display, music, ripping movies or cds to whatever format I want. I don't play video games so I don't need the speed. I am confused about running cameras on a network to your NVR, probably has something to do with subnet mask which I don't understand well how to effectively use it. Guess I gotta learn. I assume you can send the video signal over fiber by using a poe switch or hub. I don't know this to be fact but would be fun to try. Possible applications would be where a coal company has a conveyor that runs 20 miles through the woods and needs a way to communicate with staff and monitor the belts. If a belt malfunctions it can make one hell of a mess. These things should be very useful. I used to work with telephones and I still have an interest in the technology as it moves forward.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
VLC runs on knoppix, the advantage of running knoppix is it runs on about anything, I use 10 year old computers to perform most tasks like printing, display, music, ripping movies or cds to whatever format I want. I don't play video games so I don't need the speed. I am confused about running cameras on a network to your NVR, probably has something to do with subnet mask which I don't understand well how to effectively use it. Guess I gotta learn. I assume you can send the video signal over fiber by using a poe switch or hub. I don't know this to be fact but would be fun to try. Possible applications would be where a coal company has a conveyor that runs 20 miles through the woods and needs a way to communicate with staff and monitor the belts. If a belt malfunctions it can make one hell of a mess. These things should be very useful. I used to work with telephones and I still have an interest in the technology as it moves forward.
Your interest in coal processing and your location of WV suggests you have some connection with that industry! :cool:

When POE cameras are connected to the POE port of a POE NVR, the NVR creates a private subnet just for the cams to isolate them from the Internet; the NVR's LAN will be on a different subnet and generally is visible to other PC's on that same LAN unless configured otherwise.

A POE camera can also be powered by a POE injector or POE switch (the term "hub" is pretty much out of the picture these days) and if assigned an IP in the same subnet as the LAN can stream to software on PC's that are part of that LAN...again, unless configured otherwise. Cams in this schema are generally assigned a unique, static IP that is outside of the router's DHCP pool (if there is a router).

Most POE NVR's can also stream their connected cams to software on the LAN PC's as well.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JanL

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi and good morning,

Thanks for all the help and Ideas. VLC looks like it would work good will defiantly give that a try. The conveyors are in a separate building and can not be watch from that location. It just to have a visual on them when they run in case something goes wrong. Its chicken manure so not too much fun lol

Thanks

jrczz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your interest in coal processing and your location of WV suggests you have some connection with that industry! :cool:

When POE cameras are connected to the POE port of a POE NVR, the NVR creates a private subnet just for the cams to isolate them from the Internet; the NVR's LAN will be on a different subnet and generally is visible to other PC's on that same LAN unless configured otherwise.

A POE camera can also be powered by a POE injector or POE switch (the term "hub" is pretty much out of the picture these days) and if assigned an IP in the same subnet as the LAN can stream to software on PC's that are part of that LAN...again, unless configured otherwise. Cams in this schema are generally assigned a unique, static IP that is outside of the router's DHCP pool (if there is a router).

Most POE NVR's can also stream their connected cams to software on the LAN PC's as well.
Ah...So the key knowledge for me is a subnet mask and static IP's outside the dhcp range, in effect using the network infrastructure but not being part of it, separate from it. I have the hardware to do this, and will, to see it work ,....thanks. I used to work for an interconnect telephone company. We had to turn down work in the coal industry because we could not perform in several of the environments. One even wanted us to string a wire in the Ohio River to an Island they used as part of their operation. I was willing to try that but they fortunately went another way. The old saying is "Ground is Ground the world around." It ain't. There are differences in potential betwixt different points in ground. With differences in potential there is current flow if a path is available. A copper wire for instance. I have often wondered if this current, difference in potential, although not consistent could be harnessed. I've had it knock the crap out of me, I have measured it in the hundreds of volts on the jacket of burial wire. Which leads us to the benefit of fiber in these scenario's. I'm retired but do enjoy the technology. Thanks again. Try Knoppix you won't be disappointed to have it in your tool kit.

jrczz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah...So the key knowledge for me is a subnet mask and static IP's outside the dhcp range, in effect using the network infrastructure but not being part of it, separate from it. I have the hardware to do this, and will, to see it work ,....thanks. I used to work for an interconnect telephone company. We had to turn down work in the coal industry because we could not perform in several of the environments. One even wanted us to string a wire in the Ohio River to an Island they used as part of their operation. I was willing to try that but they fortunately went another way. The old saying is "Ground is Ground the world around." It ain't. There are differences in potential betwixt different points in ground. With differences in potential there is current flow if a path is available. A copper wire for instance. I have often wondered if this current, difference in potential, although not consistent could be harnessed. I've had it knock the crap out of me, I have measured it in the hundreds of volts on the jacket of burial wire. Which leads us to the benefit of fiber in these scenario's. I'm retired but do enjoy the technology. Thanks again. Try Knoppix you won't be disappointed to have it in your tool kit.
Going back to the batch files. That looks very useful. I had to think a bit, all the way back to autoexec.bat files.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Didn't know Knoppix was still around, played with it back in the late 1990's.

JanL

n3wb
Reaction score

I have been playing around a bit and it looks like VLC will work good. I just have some questions since my IT knowledge is a bit rusty lol

I dont know how and where to put the batch files. Could I get a bit more info on this?

Is it possible to have the 4 cameras streams come on the screen individua every 5 seconds ? The screen on the panel PC is small and one camera at a time would be great/

Thanks for all the help
Jan

jrczz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Jan, sorry to hijack your thread, wasn't intentional. Tony, your information was spot on and after hooking up a POE Switch I moved my cheap Cobra NVR to the house clearing up a lack of audio and latency problem. The POE switch was 27 dollars from Amazon. Ordered it yesterday got it this morning. Now to try the BAT file. Thanks man.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been playing around a bit and it looks like VLC will work good. I just have some questions since my IT knowledge is a bit rusty lol

I dont know how and where to put the batch files. Could I get a bit more info on this?

Is it possible to have the 4 cameras streams come on the screen individua every 5 seconds ? The screen on the panel PC is small and one camera at a time would be great/

Thanks for all the help
Jan
I whipped up a BAT file yesterday opening up 4 different IP cams using VLC in Win 10, one a time for 5 seconds then closing, going to the next, etc. It works but it's kinda clunky. Let me play with a bit more to see if I can refine it a bit.

No doubt my BAT file writing has taken a hit since 1990.... :winktongue:

JanL

n3wb
Reaction score
I found this "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --run-time=5 --loop --no-video-title rtsp:/10.108.23.140:554/live/ch00_0 rtsp:/10.108.23.141:554/live/ch00_0 rtsp:/10.108.23.142:554/live/ch00_0 might help or be the same ;-)

Thanks again for looking into this.