Videos "destroyed" able to be viewed on BI?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm using reolink rlc-411 and recorded with BI. I "destroyed" the video on 1/20. I started BI today and the destroyed videos were in the clips menu. I clicked on 1 and they all disappeared, the one I clicked on was able to be fully rr/ff and played until I x'ed out the screen and then it was gone.

I had the BI folder open where I save videos at the time and there was nothing there at the time I started BI or when I was playing the video so it leaves me wondering where was this video I was able to view?

Is this a bug, a security issue on BI or a reolink issue.

I recently read on an amazon review that reolink uploads videos on the cloud (WAN)? Has this been fixed with any updated firmware?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if something still has the file held open then its not really deleted, it wont appear in the filesystem but it wont really be unlocked until all files accessing it are closed.

files are not destroyed until they are overwritten, and then it takes a few times.. its always possible to undelete files w/forensic tools as they are not erasing the blocks, they are simply marking the file as gone and the blocks are free for being used again.

this is typical w/any software and its how filesystems operate.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm using reolink rlc-411 and recorded with BI. I "destroyed" the video on 1/20. I started BI today and the destroyed videos were in the clips menu. I clicked on 1 and they all disappeared, the one I clicked on was able to be fully rr/ff and played until I x'ed out the screen and then it was gone.

I had the BI folder open where I save videos at the time and there was nothing there at the time I started BI or when I was playing the video so it leaves me wondering where was this video I was able to view?

Is this a bug, a security issue on BI or a reolink issue.

I recently read on an amazon review that reolink uploads videos on the cloud (WAN)? Has this been fixed with any updated firmware?
You say you destroyed it on 1/20 then started BI today..was BI closed all this time? if so why?
As nayr pointed out, its not a security issue since it will always be available unless you actively scrub it. You are doing something wrong. Regardless, this is not related to reolink.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You say you destroyed it on 1/20 then started BI today..was BI closed all this time? if so why?
As nayr pointed out, its not a security issue since it will always be available unless you actively scrub it. You are doing something wrong. Regardless, this is not related to reolink.
if something still has the file held open then its not really deleted, it wont appear in the filesystem but it wont really be unlocked until all files accessing it are closed.

files are not destroyed until they are overwritten, and then it takes a few times.. its always possible to undelete files w/forensic tools as they are not erasing the blocks, they are simply marking the file as gone and the blocks are free for being used again.

this is typical w/any software and its how filesystems operate.
Thanks for the replies.
We shut shut off BI as I was not using that computer.

-Used destroy option on BI
-Emptied recycling bin
-restarted computer
-started program week later and file showed up
-no files were in the folder where videos are saved.
-could play the 1 video but then it was gone, all clips we did see vanished also

I just found it odd that BI would somehow have access to these if they are not in the folder and deleted as like you said "forensic tools" can recover deleted files, not sure how BI did.

I'm searching the forum to eliminate making new threads that might be out there, but is there any other info on reolink, we feel reolink has some odd behavior, is there any reason why video is being uploaded to the cloud (wan) and how can it be shut off?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
We shut shut off BI as I was not using that computer.

-Used destroy option on BI
-Emptied recycling bin
-restarted computer
-started program week later and file showed up
-no files were in the folder where videos are saved.
-could play the 1 video but then it was gone, all clips we did see vanished also

I just found it odd that BI would somehow have access to these if they are not in the folder and deleted as like you said "forensic tools" can recover deleted files, not sure how BI did.

I'm searching the forum to eliminate making new threads that might be out there, but is there any other info on reolink, we feel reolink has some odd behavior, is there any reason why video is being uploaded to the cloud (wan) and how can it be shut off?
I dont understand, your blue iris computer should always be on...
You may have hit destroy but BI may not have had the change to delete the footage..
Also all the clips would still show in the clips view despite the actual file being deleted because you did not allow the database to update itself.
I dont think reolink is uploading anything to the cloud..what do you mean by "we feel"..it either is or is not.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont understand, your blue iris computer should always be on...
You may have hit destroy but BI may not have had the change to delete the footage..
Also all the clips would still show in the clips view despite the actual file being deleted because you did not allow the database to update itself.
I dont think reolink is uploading anything to the cloud..what do you mean by "we feel"..it either is or is not.
We have the NVR we view and reolink software on other computer so we don't always have the BI computer on at all times. Thanks for your reply as that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks again for your help

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We have the NVR we view and reolink software on other computer so we don't always have the BI computer on at all times. Thanks for your reply as that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks again for your help
Then why are you running BI?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then why are you running BI?
Because I was using BI before the NVR or other computer. If I'm on the computer that has BI I don't have the other computers on normally. But I'm using the BI computer more often and have not yet seen the clips that were "destroyed" popping up again, I will keep an eye on it.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
by the way - this was the review:
- No option to disable WAN (cloud). Feature to allow phone/tablet outside of LAN (house) to work is neat, but I would like to understand / control fully how my streaming video is being routed, i.e. since it's passed my router/firewall, guess is camera is streaming to cloud server and phone/tablet is connected to cloud server. Where is this cloud server? and who can see/hack the cloud server? Is my streaming video going out encrypted (SSL/TLS)? Username/password authentication/protection may not be enough. Looking at possibly creating a VLAN to isolate camera and prevent it from accessing LAN (home PC/MAC/phone/tablet and WAN)

response from reolink:

Thanks for your support and review on Reolink products.

And glad to receive your suggestion to disable WAN. We will make the plan to add an option to turn on/off this function from UI. New release will be in two weeks.

Any problem pls contact us freely.

Thanks and best regards,

Reolink Service Center

----
So far no update that we can tell and others said they have done:
What I did was to identify the IP addresses (3 of them) that go to the outside server, setup outbound IP/port block on your router, then manually setup routing for your camera to the 3rd party service such no-ip, you are good to go then.

Not sure how to do that myself yet.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I also wanted to add I'm very happy with BI and run it on a few computers! This thread is not to say anything bad about BI! Great product and company!

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I should also mention that reolink DOES NOT work with BI correctly, lags and video skips. Has anyone found a fix yet?

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I should also mention that reolink DOES NOT work with BI correctly, lags and video skips. Has anyone found a fix yet?
I responded to your post in the other thread, but here it is again. I've posted these instructions several times in the past; please use the search function.

Cameras' Interface:
1. Make sure the Reolinks are using the most recent firmware released a couple months ago.
2. Turn off 3D-NR.

Blue Iris:
1. Uncheck RTSP/stream timecode in each camera's video settings.
2. Raise the buffer to 20MB in each camera's video settings.

These used to be necessary, but I haven't needed to use them since the most recent firmware release, but including just in case:
1. Set Intel hardware acceleration to "No" in the global settings.
2. Make sure the Reolinks are set to use "Baseline" in the H.264 profile setting.

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also be sure to turn off the UID and UPnP functions in the cameras interface under Network-->Advanced. I always block all IP cameras at the router just for good measure as they're accessible via Blue Iris anyways.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also be sure to turn off the UID and UPnP functions in the cameras interface under Network-->Advanced. I always block all IP cameras at the router just for good measure as they're accessible via Blue Iris anyways.
I responded to your post in the other thread, but here it is again. I've posted these instructions several times in the past; please use the search function.

Cameras' Interface:
1. Make sure the Reolinks are using the most recent firmware released a couple months ago.
2. Turn off 3D-NR.

Blue Iris:
1. Uncheck RTSP/stream timecode in each camera's video settings.
2. Raise the buffer to 20MB in each camera's video settings.

These used to be necessary, but I haven't needed to use them since the most recent firmware release, but including just in case:
1. Set Intel hardware acceleration to "No" in the global settings.
2. Make sure the Reolinks are set to use "Baseline" in the H.264 profile setting.
Thank you for the info, it is much easier seeing it in one place knowing this is definitely the fix, it adds a layer of confidence. Your reply is highly appreciated. We have been using the reolink software to record on a dedicated computer until we figure out the BI. Not so bad but reolink playback could be better since it stops recording when you view other videos.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All this could have been avoided by right clicking on the clips window, and selecting "Rebuild Database".
Yeah, my nightmare is posting something pointless on a forum and don't want to do that, I tried to research this issue and could not find it.

I should add again Ken is great and his software is amazing too, everyone who uses it here is very happy and still use it, I want to clear that up, I was only trying to see if anyone knew exactly what happened but very happy and satisfied with the replies. Thanks again everyone.