Video Stutter?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not having FPS and iframes match means in BI that you could miss motion events. With a difference that large, any object that is in and out of the field of view in under 5 seconds could be missed completely.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
To me, that's typical of IP cameras, frame rates, iframe rates and bit rates. I see the same thing on all my cameras. Annoying at times, maybe, but nothing to pull hair out about.
in my opinion this is firmware related.
i never ever saw this stutter on ANY dahua / hikvision camera when using their own protocol with NVR

ONLY with rtsp / onvif i saw it on some cameras.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is the info on the camera. Should I upgrade the firmware to something else?
Cam info.png

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
ok.

the main question.. is the stutter only on live view or it is also on records on BI /nvr?

we had this discussion already. the smd3.0 firmware is a piece of bugs. wildcat said that the stutter is no problem because its not on recording.

@looney2ns can sing a song of stuttering and jerk. look in the firmware thread, there are some sample vids from him

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I too had stuttering issues on one location and changed the PoE switch and it cured it. On another location had the same issue and changed the computer out and it fixed the stuttering. The computer I changed out was a Surface Pro, may be something to that.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
An iframe is a complete frame, the entire scene is sent. The other frames are partial frames of only information that has changed. Assuming you have a frame rate of 20 and an iframe rate of 100 that means that a full frame is only sent once every five seconds. VMS software, BI for one, starts detection on a full frame. Under those conditions, anything happening for four and a half seconds is missed, not in a full frame. Extremely high iframe settings are not a good idea. Don't be centered on smoothness of the video, it's the quality that is key.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a consensus as to what the best firmware version is? Can someone direct me to a download for it?

I bought three of these cameras and have installed two. The two I installed have a build date of 8/21. The third one is 3/21. Wondering if that has the issue as well.

ok.

the main question.. is the stutter only on live view or it is also on records on BI /nvr?

we had this discussion already. the smd3.0 firmware is a piece of bugs. wildcat said that the stutter is no problem because its not on recording.

@looney2ns can sing a song of stuttering and jerk. look in the firmware thread, there are some sample vids from him

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
i always use third dec 2020
but if you downgrade from jul 2021, you need a special reset procedure from wildcat for best possible outcome ^^

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to this. The more I've played with things, I see the issue on both of these 5442 cams. One cam is consistent. The other isn't. Same with BI. Sometimes the recorded video is good, other times it stutters as well.

ok.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score

for reset you should do special reset. it was something like press reset, pray to god, throw some salt over the shoulder, walk in a circle, then press reset again

if downgraded and stutter remains, must be another problem. if you want to use IVS , you should use dec 2020 firmware. ivs on jul 2021 firmware does not work good

Last edited:

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I too had stuttering issues on one location and changed the PoE switch and it cured it. On another location had the same issue and changed the computer out and it fixed the stuttering. The computer I changed out was a Surface Pro, may be something to that.
One comment about this... If you're seeing stuttering, I would strongly suggest you open a command prompt and do a "ping [ip address of cam] -t" and let that run in the background (preferably running the ping command from a device that's hardwired via Ethernet cable and -not- wirelessly connected). If your ping time isn't rock solid stable and between 5-20ms consistently (which there's no reason it shouldn't be), you could have network latency contributing to the stutter and nothing to do with the cameras.

Just for one small example: I had a secondary POE switch in a remote location. It was a cheap-ass retail brand dumb (non-managed) switch that I shouldn't have been using (but was forced to until my real network switch came in), and depending on a few of the buttons on the switch (can't even remember what the darn buttons were for off-hand, maybe MDI-X or E-POE, etc.) I would either see good consistent 2-5ms ping times to ALL the POE cameras on that switch, or I would see inconsistent 5-600ms pings times to those same POE cameras. Obviously when the pings were bad, the stutter was awful. Fix the pings, fix the stutter. (IN THIS CASE).

So check your ping times.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
So check your ping times.
bp2008's nice tool to do that:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
This thread is about 5 months old but thought I'd throw my $0.02 in. I just received a couple of T5442T-ZE cams from Andy and am in the process of initial setup. I've notice this phenomenon based on which browser you use to access the camera's settings.

This is the message you get when in the cam's settings if you use the Edge browser not Internet Explorer.

1651447191783.png

The cam will automatically switch to the substream if enabled. Here is the firmware I'm using. Although, I don't think it's firmware related....only browser related.

1651447369162.png
Blue Iris seems to stream the video without delay or "stutter" and, as mentioned above, it also streams fine in full resolution at 30 fps in Internet Explorer without fail.