Video settings and quality

ZipPortal

n3wb
Reaction score
I have several Hikvision devices, mostly DS-2CD2045FWD-I I use to livestream publicly to the internet.
Some of them are connected through the 4G-network, so I'm trying to get the best image quality with the lowest bandwith.

One of these camera's shows a 6 lane highway and that makes it a very good test case of settings, because of the big amount of movement all day.

I'm using the Third Stream option set to 1280x720 pixels with 25 fps, variable bandwith option and max bitrate to 512. This produces fine images, but I'm a bit confused about some of the other settings.

i-frame interval
To my knowledge the i-Frame interval is best set to the same amount of fps you set, to get the clearest picture. This makes kind of sense to me.

But in my case, when I set the i-frame interval from 25 to 100, the stream quality gets way better. A little pixelation around the moving cars, but none around the buildings and other background. When I set i-frame to 25, the pixelation happens everywhere. The change in actual bandwith usage is not that big.

How does this make sense? Do I understand the concept of i-frame interval wrong?

SVC and smoothing
Those are by default set to OFF and 50 respectively and none of those seem to make any noticeable difference to either the bandwith usage or the overall image quality?