VIDEO: Off-duty Alabama officer hit by car in his front yard

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I assume for safety reason and possible local laws, you need to lock up your arms if not carrying...and would take time to get and load. Not sure how that would effect officers.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I assume for safety reason and possible local laws, you need to lock up your arms if not carrying...and would take time to get and load. Not sure how that would effect officers.
The defensive firearms are not locked per se unless you want to count the locks on my doors and windows. I assume most of us without young children have them in strategic places throughout the house. Firearm in the car is in my vehicle which is parked in an enclosed garage attached to the house. I assume that most here without young children do the same thing. Never leave a firearm in a vehicle overnight if it's not parked in a locked garage.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Some nanny states have such an idiotic law. That's not the case in "free" states.
In NY State, you had to go in front of a judge to get a pistol permit and had to state why, and if you had any arrests, etc. you had to explain the circumstances, etc., I assume that it's still the same, along with new law passed by Cuomo and democrats (after they took control of both state houses) in 2019 that you have to lock it up if any kids under 16.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In NY State, you had to go in front of a judge to get a pistol permit and had to state why, and if you had any arrests, etc. you had to explain the circumstances, etc., I assume that it's still the same, along with new law passed by Cuomo and democrats (after they took control of both state houses) in 2019 that you have to lock it up if any kids under 16.

No government ok required here as of July 1 of this yr.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
MMQB is easy at this point, but it sure seemed like he made himself a sitting duck by a) firing too late, b) not putting himself in a less open place, and c) not getting out of the path of the oncoming Jeep sooner. It was almost as though he expected the rounds to somehow stop the forward progress of the vehicle, and then at the last second he's like, "Oh crap, that didn't work..."

Now, I wonder if he had been a regular civilian, would that level of force (used against the perp) have been justified? I get that cops are cleared all the time after shooting at a suspect in a vehicle (sometimes in absurdly unrealistic scenarios - like they're beside/behind the vehicle), but I wonder if those graces are extended to civys...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
MMQB is easy at this point, but it sure seemed like he made himself a sitting duck by a) firing too late, b) not putting himself in a less open place, and c) not getting out of the path of the oncoming Jeep sooner. It was almost as though he expected the rounds to somehow stop the forward progress of the vehicle, and then at the last second he's like, "Oh crap, that didn't work..."

Now, I wonder if he had been a regular civilian, would that level of force (used against the perp) have been justified? I get that cops are cleared all the time after shooting at a suspect in a vehicle (sometimes in absurdly unrealistic scenarios - like they're beside/behind the vehicle), but I wonder if those graces are extended to civys...
Yes, very easy to second-guess and QB from our sofas.

I will say this: I'm a civilian...I'd like to say once I made it to the house and found my firearm that I would have called 9-1-1 and waited for LEO to arrive...if the bastid opened my back door during that time I would have dropped him like a blind date set up by my cousin, dragged his butt inside the door about halfway over the threshold and opened a cold Miller Lite while I waited on the Po-Po.

In any event, Alabama has the "Stand Your Ground" law, so I think the Alabama off-duty cop was covered even in his front yard...but for me, I'd make sure there's no doubt by waiting in the house. I don't think I'd be running out in the front yard....there'd have to be a compelling reason to do that, like a family member or loved one was still being threatened, in imminent danger, etc.

Last edited:

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
That boy is in a heap o trouble! And they scared that poor rabbit out of its hiding place, too.

One wonders what events lead up to this. The perpetrator surely knew the cop, and knew that he was a cop. There has to be an interesting story behind all of this.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Haven't they caught him by now? No follow up story?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Haven't they caught him by now? No follow up story?
Oh they arrested him quickly ==>> Heroic neighbors tackle suspect who ran over Decatur police officer

He was initially arrested by City of Decatur Police for assault, then the charges were elevated to attempted murder.==>> Decatur man charged with attempted murder

A Google search for "Gregory Martin Hill" brings up a link to him being an inmate at the Morgan County Jail but it's NOT FOUND. A search of the inmate roster reveals a few surnames of "Hill" but none are the accused, for some reason. :idk: