Video/image Quality

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought some Tapo C110 and C120 2K cameras and they work fine, but I notice the live view looks much better when using the Tapo app vs using the Blue Iris app.
In the Tapo app, the image is much crisper, whereas in the Blue Iris app a lot more pixelated...it's like the pixels are constantly moving making the image not as clear.. this does not happen with viewing the camera using the Tapo app.

Is there a setting in Blue Iris I can change to that would make the quality better or at least on par to the Tapo app?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you looking at the substream in BI?

BI will be substream in multicamera view than switch to mainstream when solo.

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought some Tapo C110 and C120 2K cameras and they work fine, but I notice the live view looks much better when using the Tapo app vs using the Blue Iris app.
In the Tapo app, the image is much crisper, whereas in the Blue Iris app a lot more pixelated...it's like the pixels are constantly moving making the image not as clear.. this does not happen with viewing the camera using the Tapo app.

Is there a setting in Blue Iris I can change to that would make the quality better or at least on par to the Tapo app?
Are you viewing the cameras on the Blue Iris computer using the console or are you viewing them remotely using the BI app on a mobile device? If you're viewing them remotely, go to BI settings, Web server, click configure on encoder options and unchecked "resize output frame width x height". You will also have to adjust the rate control "limit bitrate" option.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you viewing the cameras on the Blue Iris computer using the console or are you viewing them remotely using the BI app on a mobile device? If you're viewing them remotely, go to BI settings, Web server, click configure on encoder options and unchecked "resize output frame width x height". You will also have to adjust the rate control "limit bitrate" option.
Do you mean here? - it's already unchecked.
1702672527599.png

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
oh.. I see the other option now.. Limit Bitrate.. let me try that...

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@smiticans - Hi there.. quick question.. same deal but when viewing the cams on the web browser.. I have changed the "Streaming quality" all the way up to 2160P, but it still looks very pixelated. It didn't used to look like this.. this changed after I replaced my 2MP cameras with 3MP, 4 MP cameras.. then I noticed the quality on the web browser changed drastically.

They look fine on the Blue Iris Console and on the phone app, but very pixelated on any browser. I have been looking on the settings, but I can't find or don't know which setting would make it look better.
Can you advise which setting I need to change?

Thanks.

Reaction score
@smiticans - Hi there.. quick question.. same deal but when viewing the cams on the web browser.. I have changed the "Streaming quality" all the way up to 2160P, but it still looks very pixelated. It didn't used to look like this.. this changed after I replaced my 2MP cameras with 3MP, 4 MP cameras.. then I noticed the quality on the web browser changed drastically.

They look fine on the Blue Iris Console and on the phone app, but very pixelated on any browser. I have been looking on the settings, but I can't find or don't know which setting would make it look better.
Can you advise which setting I need to change?

Thanks.
Assuming you're using UI3, click on the 3 dots on the top right corner, click on streaming profiles. click on the 2160P (4k) options and make sure it's using the streaming profile that you increased the bitrate on. Also, make sure the user account you're logging into UI3 with is not restricted to a different streaming profile. Also, do not use the VBR options.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am using UI3 and I have clicked the 3 dots.. it's using the same profile, Streaming 0, but it says VBR. and it's set to "No Limit".
The Stream is set to 0 and the one on the UI3 which is also set to Streaming 0 is using VBR, but I have changed it to CBR, but no difference.

1702848512182.png

1702848586286.png

Reaction score
I am using UI3 and I have clicked the 3 dots.. it's using the same profile, Streaming 0, but it says VBR. and it's set to "No Limit".
The Stream is set to 0 and the one on the UI3 which is also set to Streaming 0 is using VBR, but I have changed it to CBR, but no difference.

View attachment 180341

View attachment 180342
Under base server profile set it back to streaming profile 0. In UI3 click on the gear icon on the bottom right. Select "2160P 4K" but make sure its not the one that says "2160p VBR V4".

What is your bitrate set to for streaming profile 0?

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Under base server profile set it back to streaming profile 0
Not sure what you mean by "base server".
If you mean this... I have it unchecked to get the full bitrate. In UI3, it is already selected to use 2160 4K, not VBR.

1702917017160.png

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found the setting!
In the Console, I clicked on the Edit Layout.. and I noticed the Height was set to Auto...so I changed it to 2160p and the pixelation went away.
I wonder why Auto didn't use the right resolution.

1702920433982.png