video card from my PC parts bucket

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, a lot of have us keep old motherboards, RAM, network cards, sound card, video cards - you name it. To be honest, I rarely have gone back to my pile of old stuff and reused anything. The only exception was a NIC.

To that end, I wondered about something specifically about video cards. I have a dell optiplex 5050 7th gen intel i5 cpu with integrated video. If I was to put in an older video card in that system, its a PCIe connector so I'm good there, how can I confirm if that video card is any better (or worse) than what the integrated Intel Video card would do?
This question really isn't about using the video card with blue iris, its more of a generic question. I don't want to keep storing stuff - LOL.

Would running video benchmarks would be ideal to determine that? For example, I would run the test on intel integrated gpu, then run the same test on the older video card and see which numbers look better?
Can I please get recommendations of free video benchmark apps for windows 10?

edit: ok, I'll fess up - LOL. I might consider using that older video card for deepstack configuration. I'm still far, far away from deploying deepstack, so just doing initial homework and research

inquiring minds want to know - LOL. Thanks.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With BI now utilizing substreams, hardware acceleration with the Intel video card or a GPU are not as important as they used to be. In fact, for many people, recent BI updates has made their system unstable so they have turned hardware acceleration off. In other words, the onboard GPU versus adding a GPU isn't much impact for BI anymore.

Now for Deepstack, Deepstack doesn't use the intel GPU, so if you have a NVIDIA GPU, that would be beneficial for Deepstack.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With BI now utilizing substreams, hardware acceleration with the Intel video card or a GPU are not as important as they used to be. In fact, for many people, recent BI updates has made their system unstable so they have turned hardware acceleration off. In other words, the onboard GPU versus adding a GPU isn't much impact for BI anymore.

Now for Deepstack, Deepstack doesn't use the intel GPU, so if you have a NVIDIA GPU, that would be beneficial for Deepstack.
thank you for your feedback. Yes, it is an nVidia card, GS8400. I will hold on to it till I deploy deepstack. Video cards are so pricey these days, don't need to get one if the one I have will work for the need.
In checking, I was able to find win 10 drivers for it on nVidia site. Found that surprising, considering the age of this gpu.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@xmfan I'm not sure how well that 8400 will do for DS. That's a relatively early version and only has 16 "cores" from what I see. It's worth a try, to be sure, but don't expect a whole lot of performance.