[video] BI console loads in slow motion...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Never seen anything like it. Running on an i7-6xxx with 16gb ram, win 10 w/latest updates. It's a new system I put together for neighbor.

Latest intel drivers installed (from Dell for Optiplex 7050).

Screen "paints" very slowly - with each button/icon coming up about .5 seconds after the next. Takes nearly 30 seconds for it to complete. Never seen anything like this on previous installs.

Any ideas? Performance otherwise seems unaffected.

View attachment Slow open.mp4

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Pull up Task Manager within Win 10 and check to see what processes are running...what's using up the CPU....look at the amount of memory in use and by what apps. It's possible that the system is low on memory and what little memory it's working with it's doing a lot of paging in and out from the hard disk. Speaking of which, what is your configuration for the disks? For the system and for the video storage? Also, make sure you don't have anti-virus running for BI and defrag is not currently running. Should not defrag the disk used for video storage.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Pull up Task Manager within Win 10 and check to see what processes are running...what's using up the CPU....look at the amount of memory in use and by what apps. It's possible that the system is low on memory and what little memory it's working with it's doing a lot of paging in and out from the hard disk. Speaking of which, what is your configuration for the disks? For the system and for the video storage? Also, make sure you don't have anti-virus running for BI and defrag is not currently running.
All good suggestions. I've got everything skinnied down to maximize performance (probably my 10th BI system build) - CPU is running around 40% with console open (with all all but a few percent due to BI), but higher bursts during the opening process. No firewall, no antivirus (other than windows defender which I've tried to neutralize as much as possible). It does this after a clean reboot with memory use at <10% as well.

I have to remote in, and neighbor isn't home (they have to let me in due to privacy concerns). Else I would have screen shots now.

The slow painting of the screen happens remotely and while locally on the machine (i.e. it's not VNC delays).

It really feels like it's a driver issue (Intel 530) but after running all the latest dell updates, it says it's the most current (April 2022). Looks like we have essentially the same PC. WHat driver do you have for your video adapter? I said it was a 7050, but it's actually a 7040.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Agreed, looks like this system is the same as mine. This is the driver I settled on:

1661780669160.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should always do a clean fresh install of windows using the Media Creation Tool, Not from Dells backups.
And stick with the drivers that Windows installs, keep the dell crap off of it as much as possible.

Looks to me like you may not properly have Blue Iris excluded from Windows Defender, that CPU usage it way too high.
See the help file on exclusions needed.

Wait is he using and external My Book USB drive for storage. Theres the problem right there.
USB drives should never be used for new storage.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Doing a factory reset and restore from the hidden partition doesn't count, I guess? I installed some of the dell software to get it to scan for outdated drivers. I'll look for defender hooks now.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Doing a factory reset and restore from the hidden partition doesn't count, I guess? I installed some of the dell software to get it to scan for outdated drivers. I'll look for defender hooks now.
Nope, you should use Media creation tool.
As noted above, the USB drive is a very bad idea.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yeah, I get that the USB drive is sub-par, but with the number of cameras she has, I'm going with it for now. I had my 60+ on a USB and didn't suffer any issues (until I did). Unless that is what is causing the slow painting of the BI console, I'll consider a separate issue. While I haven' tried, I suspect if I unplug the USB and point to the local drive for storage, the console will still come up slowly.

As for windows defender, I have everything turned off, and the process added to the exclusion list.

For now, the only issue is the slow loading of the console. The rest appears to be working ok, so I have to weigh whether starting completely over with a media creation tool is worth the reward. If it was my personal system, and I had unlimited access to it, I'd do it just out of principal. But given the current circumstances, I'd rather save that as a hail Mary.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree that USB for your main video storage is a bad idea. Interesting to see your Disk 1 performance at 0%. I assume you are recording the cams? This is what mine looks like.

1661787522544.png

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Agree that USB for your main video storage is a bad idea. Interesting to see your Disk 1 performance at 0%. I assume you are recording the cams? This is what mine looks like.

View attachment 138299
Yes, but with only 8 cameras, set to record on motion, most (if not all) are typically not recording. You can see the receiving is around 40mbps on the NIC, but the drive wasn't actively recording when I took my screenshot.

They are recording, as I can see the playback. However, the recordings are all sub-stream (a separate issue for which I'm still awaiting a reply from Ken). Given the incredibly low data rate on writing the substreams, that may also be why it's not showing up on the graph.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, but with only 8 cameras, set to record on motion, most (if not all) are typically not recording. You can see the receiving is around 40mbps on the NIC, but the drive wasn't actively recording when I took my screenshot.

They are recording, as I can see the playback. However, the recordings are all sub-stream (a separate issue for which I'm still awaiting a reply from Ken). Given the incredibly low data rate on writing the substreams, that may also be why it's not showing up on the graph.
You really do like to learn the hard way don't ya?

User error is why you are only recording substreams.
Only use a version of BI that is deemed stable, not the bleeding edge.
With 8 cameras on motion only, then you have a major issue with a CPU running at 40%.
It should be less than 5-6% if everything is properly set up.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You really do like to learn the hard way don't ya?

User error is why you are only recording substreams.
Only use a version of BI that is deemed stable, not the bleeding edge.
With 8 cameras on motion only, then you have a major issue with a CPU running at 40%.
It should be less than 5-6% if everything is properly set up.
No I like to learn the easy way, but only after I've tried every possible hard way.

Would you care to share on what kind of user error could force sub-stream recording? Live view is showing main, but all playback (both on UI3 and on the console) is sub stream. I have "use sub-stream if available" unchecked on each camera.

I am streaming three of her cameras from her BI server to my BI server (using RTSP). Ever since doing that both systems are running higher CPU. I'm going to address that when I can have full access to her system again with VNC. Until then, I'm trying to resolve the sub-stream issue. The only way I could get her LPR camera to not record in sub-stream was to disable it on the camera itself.

All cameras are set to record on "when triggered", not continuous, or continuous + trigger. I'm unaware of any other settings that would cause all camera recordings to default to sub-stream. I've separately asked for assistance here, and sent an email to Ken. I've never encountered this before... so I'm all ears.