Very Loud Explosion Sound

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Myself, my neighbors and many posts to Nextdoor \ Ring Neighbors we all heard a VERY loud explosion sound. One big one and then another one a few seconds later. Definitely not fireworks and I don't think a transformer explosion because we heard 2 sounds. I think either it was a sonic boom or even small meteor exploding in the atmosphere? Not sure, any ideas?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The first one sounds like an incoming JDAM..... Enough to set off a car alarm... local gangs seriously upped their game?

And do your neighbors lights always flash like that?

Lets hope it was a meteor or military plane sonic boom, otherwise its time to stock up on canned goods.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not a meteor or anything like that. The flash of light is too fast for something like that. (Meteors burn up in the atmosphere over a period of time). The fact that there is a flash of light at all also means it's also probably not a sonic boom from an airplane or other flying object.

I think all the evidence points to some sort of explosion. It could easily have been a transformer (with another one blowing a few seconds later due to the sudden shift in power requirements), but it could also be something else entirely as well.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What it hot and humid out? Sounded like maybe lightning..... You should be able to find a lightning strike detector for you area online somewhere.

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I really think it was a homemade IED someone made in their backyard. This has been going on for years and this person sets them off a few times a year. If it was fireworks I always hear the noise first when it shoots up and then the bang a second later but not this time. If it was a transformer why would there be 2 bangs? Also there were no power outages in the area and also checked fire department dispatch and nothing related to this.

@StevenFromTexas first video is Color4K-T and second video is a Color4K-X. Both of them the audio doesn't sound so good, you hear a lot of noise that you dont hear if you are physically outside. I even tried with the noise filter on. Using the built in camera microphone. Anyone have any ideas?

Screenshot 2023-12-13 143027.jpg

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@StevenFromTexas first video is Color4K-T and second video is a Color4K-X. Both of them the audio doesn't sound so good, you hear a lot of noise that you dont hear if you are physically outside. I even tried with the noise filter on. Using the built in camera microphone. Anyone have any ideas?
That's exactly what I thought the first camera was . . . IPC-Color4K-T. It's something when you can idenify the camera by the sound it makes. :lol:

As far as the audio, I've tried every possible audio configuration on the IPC-Color4K-T and absolutely nothing will do much to improve it.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
The color tells you it was either Ti. or Al. flash salute. Looking at the shadows, it was launched the next
block over to the right of the camera.