Very inconsistent ivs on new PTZ

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm having a weird issue where my new SD49425XB-HNR ptz is being very inconsistent with logging IVS (and then doing related auto track). For hours it just won't register a single IVS event and then other times it will auto track every passing person and log the IVS events without issue.

When I watch the playback it looks like it is recognizing humans and putting the box around them, but doesn't trigger the ivs or auto track.

I'm on the original firmware from Andy to keep auto track. Only one rule, intrusion enters or exits, no minimum size, 25% tracking target size ratio

Settings shown in image. H264h, 8196 kb bitrate, smart plan deep ivs, just the main stream without any substreams, no MD, nothing fancy or cpu intensive. Restarting doesn't seem to resolve it, just randomly starts working or not working.

Screenshot_20210710-094844_Chrome.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have an SD card in it so that you can playback with IVS rules on to see what it is locking into?

That is a tight FOV, so it may have a little trouble as well. It tends to work best when the initial pan doesn't have to be to much left or right or up or down to start. What I suspect is someone entering from the left and walking right, the camera needs to initially move left and it could be catching on to the car or something else. An SD card will show that.

I would probably bring the IVS rule in from the left and right some to give the camera time to recognize a person and I would raise the top IVS so that the entire person on the sidewalk would be under the IVS.

If you have an SD card in it, post some video showing the problems with the IVS rules on.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried a zig-zag pattern on the sidewalk using a tripwire instead?
Yes, try moving the intrusion zone in on both the left and right side.
And up a little from the bottom.
I agree, an SD card can help with checking out what is going on in the recordings.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^ What he said. The camera need to be able to "see" something entering the intrusion box. Leave some space for that to happen on both the left and right sides as well as the bottom.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, raise the top of the intrusion zone, so that if a person is standing on the sidewalk, they are mostly inside the box.
It takes trial and error to get it tweaked where you need it.
Adjust the IVS rules, then go out and test them in a variety of lighting conditions.

Reaction score
yep...zigzag tripwire and add a buffer along the edge for intrusion. I have 2 rules: 1 tripwire and 1 intrusion. Yout want the entire height of a human walking into your trip/intrusion. If someone walks on my blacktop pavement, my trip & instrusion height covers 7' height just incase Bill Skarsgard comes popping out of that sewer in clown makeup.
temp.jpg

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you can zoom out any I would to that as well. That is a fairly tight field of view and almost anything with some pace like a jogger, bike, scooter will probably not track reliably.

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, I was putting up a few upgraded cameras today :) All great suggestions! I changed the settings (giving more room for intrusion to see entering the box and adding zip zag trip) and will see how they work tomorrow. I'll then fine tune the zoom to make sure the camera is moving in time.

@wittaj I know I've seen it on the forums years ago, but how do I see the IVS rules being triggered or not triggered? Download dav files from the camera playback tab? Then play dav with SmartPSS? I typically just watch the IVS rules flashing on my NVR monitor during playback, but are there benefits to looking at the microsd recordings instead?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have that ability within the NVR, then that works too. I do not know if they are the same between what the NVR shows and the camera GUI for playback with IVS - one would think they are the same, but we have seen many instances where the camera and NVR do not talk like it should. Under playback on the NVR, does it keep a box around the object being tracked so that you can see which item it tracks and when it jumps from the object to something else that caught the AI instead of the object?

Most of us log into the camera GUI and playback that way from the SD Card and down on the bottom left is an icon to turn the IVS rule on/off.

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After updating the ivs rules last night, not a single IVS event triggered all day. This is so strange. I only expanded the existing intrusion box and added the zig zag trip wire.

I'm going to turn microsd recording to continuous temporarily to see what the ivs rules are showing. Since it didn't record locally since it didn't think there were any IVS events.

If you have that ability within the NVR, then that works too. I do not know if they are the same between what the NVR shows and the camera GUI for playback with IVS - one would think they are the same, but we have seen many instances where the camera and NVR do not talk like it should. Under playback on the NVR, does it keep a box around the object being tracked so that you can see which item it tracks and when it jumps from the object to something else that caught the AI instead of the object?

Most of us log into the camera GUI and playback that way from the SD Card and down on the bottom left is an icon to turn the IVS rule on/off.

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the issue is needing to use IE for this firmware. Not sure why it sometimes still worked even in Chrome, but I set the rules in IE just now and it is logging IVS again. I'll see if it holds for a day or two.