Very High CPU utilization, possible PC upgrade?

650hpAMG

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Lurker, just joined. Been using BI for some time now. Works great-much of the time. :)

But I think I ran into the ceiling with my setup.

PC is currently I5-3570K 3.4/3.8, 8gb ram, 3.4 usable, W7 32 bit.
Other programs running: Teamviewer-which makes little impact unless dialed into. ActiveHome-again, 2% utilization at most. Blue Iris-latest version

Cameras

Hiki 3mp, 2048x 15fps, One of these
Foscams 9821 720p, FIVE of these 15fps
Dahau 2mp domes, 15 FPS Two of these
720p, Grandstream , 15FPS One of these
ASPTi 2592x1944 15FPS, 5MP camera, One of these

My kitchen PC streams remotely and I have 2 Ipads on the wall that also stream the cameras.

Now a few of these have the pre-trigger frame buffer on around 60 or so. Without it, I completely miss what even triggered the camera to begin with!

But now, I'm at a constant 95-10% cpu utilization. Memory utilization running everything is 2.25GB of the 3.4.

So, I'm thinking of either upgrading the MB to something that will overclock nicely. Or moving up to a I7 CPU. The MB currently is a LGA1155. Works great otherwise.

Any advise to make this more manageable other then removing cameras? Cause I do plan on adding one more 3mp camera to the mix.
:sad2:
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
You are running 18mp total which is a nice load..are you using direct to disk (each camera > record tab> file and format? This will dramatically reduce cpu utilization...also you can limit live preview rates blue iris options > cameras...
Remote viewing puts a strain on cpu...pc's more than the ipads i think but you can check....you might want to just run another instance on your kitchen pc, no recording so it will use little cpu then stream form the kitchen pc to the ipads...(email support he will sell you a seconds license at discount)

Finally do not overclock any NVR pc, overclocking dramatically increases power consumption...it will cost you a fortune...its cheaper to but an system in the long run...for now, with direct to disc you should be fine..

650hpAMG

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
You are running 18mp total which is a nice load..are you using direct to disk (each camera > record tab> file and format? This will dramatically reduce cpu utilization...also you can limit live preview rates blue iris options > cameras...
Remote viewing puts a strain on cpu...pc's more than the ipads i think but you can check....you might want to just run another instance on your kitchen pc, no recording so it will use little cpu then stream form the kitchen pc to the ipads...(email support he will sell you a seconds license at discount)

Finally do not overclock any NVR pc, overclocking dramatically increases power consumption...it will cost you a fortune...its cheaper to but an system in the long run...for now, with direct to disc you should be fine..
Thanks for the recommendation on running a 2nd BI on the remote PC. I might just do that to lower the utilization a few points.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No problem..direct to disc recording will by far give you the best reduction...motion detection will still work just the same..all you lose is the ability to overlay time stamps and other overlays..