Very erratic camera feed for all cameras on new system

Schrodinger's Cat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Currently setting up a new Blue Iris system (I have set up 2 before) but am hitting a problem I've never seen. All camera feeds on UI3 are extremely erratic. The max FPS is supposed to be 15 but it maxes out between 9 and 11 and every few seconds drops to 2 and glitches. Additionally, the timestamp on the camera feed (NOT BI overlay) jumps all around. Sometimes it randomly shows me frames from 30 seconds ago then bounces back. I'm not even recording yet so I don't know how this is even possible. Things seem fine when viewing the feeds within Blue Iris, 15 FPS on main stream and 5 on sub. CPU holding steady at 15% or lower. Any advice? Thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It'll take a lot more information to even hazard a guess. Camera makes, models, frame rates, iframe rates, bit rates, exact CPU model, memory, network configuration with a sketch of how everything is connected, video configurations in BI. I know I'm missing things but that'll get things started.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Initially looks like a network problem.

the frame rate on main frames and sub frames should be the same.

What is your CPU processor be specific ?
How much memory on the CPU ?
Are you using WIFI for your cameras.

Use the last stable version of BI 5.4.9.18

Provide screen shots
1) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
2) blue Iris status cameras tab

Schrodinger's Cat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm skeptical of camera or cam network issues because verything works perfectly when viewing through proper Blue Iris, its only a UI3 problem but here's more info:

Mix of Reolink and Amcrest cams, both have the problem. Both are hardwired POE, camserver is an HP Elitedesk 4th gen i5. CPU sits happily around 15% when viewing feeds. Configuration is dual-NIC on the cam server so cams can't touch internet. Individual runs are well under 100 feet.

Why are main and sub feeds supposed to be the same framerate? I have intentionally set them to be different in each cams settings and they are correct (15/5) in Blue Iris, only weird in UI3. Can't get screenshots right now.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am fighting a very similar issue on a system that has been stable for almost a year. The issues you describe are the same for me and I noticed this a couple days ago after a WIN 10 update (Home version can't turn off updates) and a power outage.

My thread in BI Trouble Shooting

Schrodinger's Cat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I just updated Windows and now I've completely lost the network connection on my 2nd NIC, the computer isn't even recognizing it and of course I've lost all my cams. Not sure if related.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm skeptical of camera or cam network issues because verything works perfectly when viewing through proper Blue Iris, its only a UI3 problem but here's more info:

Mix of Reolink and Amcrest cams, both have the problem. Both are hardwired POE, camserver is an HP Elitedesk 4th gen i5. CPU sits happily around 15% when viewing feeds. Configuration is dual-NIC on the cam server so cams can't touch internet. Individual runs are well under 100 feet.

Why are main and sub feeds supposed to be the same framerate? I have intentionally set them to be different in each cams settings and they are correct (15/5) in Blue Iris, only weird in UI3. Can't get screenshots right now.
Read this: Sub Stream Guide | IP Cam Talk

Reolinks are overall problematic with BI, and pretty much junk.
It could still be a network issue, or an issue with the computer you are using to view UI3.
Again, lots more info needed.