Version 5 bugs and issues

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thought it would be good to have a thread dedicated to bug reporting (non-installation related)

1. v.5.0.0.44 x64, I cannot seem to get the help icon to do anything, and the help buttons on the camera settings tabs also do nothing.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a new one to me. The new help file is a PDF and I believe Blue Iris 5 tries to launch SumatraPDF.exe which should be located in your Blue Iris 5 folder. I'm guessing it is missing on your system. If so, you can download the portable version (32 or 64 bit, depending on your Windows version) and extract it into the Blue Iris 5 folder. Here's a link: Sumatra PDF reader

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No PDF file was installed at all, as far as I can tell. At least not in the Blue Iris 4 folder, which is where v.5.0 was installed.

cferd5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No PDF file was installed at all, as far as I can tell. At least not in the Blue Iris 4 folder, which is where v.5.0 was installed.
By default, BI5 creates its own Blue Iris 5 folder and leaves the old BI4 for the most part alone. Then, as long as you leave the Blue Iris service off, you can go back and forth opening each version to, for example, compare them. Maybe by installing in the Blue Iris 4 folder, it caused it to leave the PDF file out? I don't know.

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have no idea why it didn't create a Blue Iris 5 folder, but it didn't and it didn't ask me where to install it. Also, when I stopped the service and uninstalled BI4, it also uninstalled BI5.

cferd5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm. When I upgraded I never stopped or closed BI4. I just downloaded the BI5 file and executed it. I remember somewhere in the process it showed that it would install in Blue Iris 5 folder. It also made a backup of the old version's settings in that same folder. Hope this helps.

cferd5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, and since we're talking about bugs and issues, this may not be a bug but it surely was an issue for me:
When checking the 2 versions (BI4 and BI5), I noticed that BI5 had changed some setting in both the old and new versions. The "start as a service" option was originally checked, the installation unchecked it. The max rate in "Camera settings" and limit live view in "Options>Cameras" was 15fps, the install changed them all to 30fps. I'm sure there are others but all the major settings that matter to me look good.

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oops. Turns out, I made a mistake. I downloaded the update file thinking it was the full install, when I should have downloaded the full install file from here: http://blueirissoftware.com/download/

The issues are no more.

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now that I've properly installed the full version, I've discovered a couple of more issues:

1. The help icon and buttons initially worked, but now they don't.
2. My profiles disappeared with this upgrade. My other settings seem to be intact.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I installed on Saturday June 1, so I'm not sure if the 2 updates since then have fixed this, but for me:
BI5 installation disabled hardware acceleration in the main settings. It set it back to 'None'. The individual cameras were set to 'Intel' instead of 'Default', I can't remember if I did that in the past or if BI5 did that.

Something to check.

cferd5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also Zones are cleared and all proflies synced to profile 1
I swear that when I first checked the drop-down, all 3 of my profiles(Day, Night and Rain) were there. Now they're all gone and the first 2 profile names were changed. Profile 1 is now "Active" and Profile 2 is now "Work hours". I also noticed that Hardware acceleration was turned off.

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I swear that when I first checked the drop-down, all 3 of my profiles(Day, Night and Rain) were there. Now they're all gone and the first 2 profile names were changed. Profile 1 is now "Active" and Profile 2 is now "Work hours". I also noticed that Hardware acceleration was turned off.
My hardware acceleration was off also, but my system seems to work better now at that setting, so I'm leaving it for the time being.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I installed on Saturday June 1, so I'm not sure if the 2 updates since then have fixed this, but for me:
BI5 installation disabled hardware acceleration in the main settings. It set it back to 'None'. The individual cameras were set to 'Intel' instead of 'Default', I can't remember if I did that in the past or if BI5 did that.

Something to check.
My hardware acceleration was off also, but my system seems to work better now at that setting, so I'm leaving it for the time being.
In my case BI5 disabled hardware acceleration when I set it to run as service. Before I did it BI5 had retained all the settings from BI4, including HW acceleration. I think this can be called a known bug now.

Otherwise, it was a smooth transition. It was ver. 5.0.0.45 x64 when I installed it.

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just a couple of things.... Make sure your webserver setting is set to C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\www and not C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\www if you upgraded.
Also, I've lost all my status pictures that would send every couple of hours. The information is there but no pictures.

cferd5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a couple of things.... Make sure your webserver setting is set to C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\www and not C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\www if you upgraded.
Also, I've lost all my status pictures that would send every couple of hours. The information is there but no pictures.
My webserver is set to C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\www and it's working fine. In fact I no longer have a C:\Program Files\ Blue Iris 4 folder so there's nothing to point to there.

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you install new or upgrade. I upgraded and it just updated my folder. But setting was changed to 5.

cferd5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I first tried to upgrade but couldn't. I think it had something to do with the license key. So I just left BI4 running, service and all, went to blueirissoftware.com , downloaded the full install of version 5 and just ran the file. The new install automatically shut the service off so I was able to run either version until I uninstalled BI4, which took the Blue Iris 4 folder with it.