Verizon LTE Home internet and IP cams

ChuckB

n3wb
Reaction score
I am considering getting Verizon"s LTE Home Internet, I have it on a trial basis now and it works fine.... except I can no longer access my cameras remotely. I am using BI 5 and R2 foscam cameras. I have seen info about using vpn's or tunneling, etc, but it seem too complicated for me anymore. I really like my setup, and hope I can find a way to access it remotely.
I am running the Verizon LTE Gateway/Router dynamic IP, bridged, and running everything from my own router, access point and extension. Please tell me there is a simple way to do this,
or a step by step tutorial for it. Thanks, Chuck

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Most likely the only way Verizon will give you a public IPv4 address capable of letting you forward ports would be to switch to a business plan (more $$$) and possibly pay more money on top of that for a static IP. It isn't worth it.

ZeroTier requires you to download their software and connect to your ZeroTier network on every device you want to access with. Despite this it is probably your easiest option.

IPv6 is also an option for inbound access that would let you avoid the need for tunneling software like ZeroTier, but the learning curve is rather steep and IPv6 is only about 40% globally available right now (which thankfully includes most cellular carriers in most developed nations).

ChuckB

n3wb
Reaction score
Most likely the only way Verizon will give you a public IPv4 address capable of letting you forward ports would be to switch to a business plan (more $$$) and possibly pay more money on top of that for a static IP. It isn't worth it.

ZeroTier requires you to download their software and connect to your ZeroTier network on every device you want to access with. Despite this it is probably your easiest option.

IPv6 is also an option for inbound access that would let you avoid the need for tunneling software like ZeroTier, but the learning curve is rather steep and IPv6 is only about 40% globally available right now (which thankfully includes most cellular carriers in most developed nations).
Yes the only way to get a static IP from Verizon is with a business account. The ZeroTier program worked just fine.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have Verizon Internet, Zero Tier, Blue Iris. and the BI mobile App. Working fine.
Sometimes, if it's been dormant a long time. ( after 24 hours) you might have to toggle the Z. Tier App back on..and then restart the BI app.
But I like it so far.

ChuckB

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey great Fred :), Hopefully I will have just as good luck....thanks much
Thank You, I am 74 and my memory is getting poor.. but followed the ( very good ) tutorial and got things up and running. I have not used BI mobile before, so I will need to do a little tweaking on that. Again TYVM
Well I spoke to soon, apparently I was still connecting to my local IP.. I had to take my wife out of town for a bit...I tried it, but no luck. I will have to try to figure a way to test it while I'm at home. I'll probably start all over tomorrow.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey great Fred :), Hopefully I will have just as good luck....thanks much

Well I spoke to soon, apparently I was still connecting to my local IP.. I had to take my wife out of town for a bit...I tried it, but no luck. I will have to try to figure a way to test it while I'm at home. I'll probably start all over tomorrow.
If you are using a phone, simply turn the wifi off on the phone so that it is on cellular and you can test from home.

ChuckB

n3wb
Reaction score
I have Verizon Internet, Zero Tier, Blue Iris. and the BI mobile App. Working fine.
Sometimes, if it's been dormant a long time. ( after 24 hours) you might have to toggle the Z. Tier App back on..and then restart the BI app.
But I like it so far.
Are you running the Verizon router/ gateway bridged (pass through)? That is how I am running mine, that way all my other devices remain unchanged.

ChuckB

n3wb
Reaction score
I am considering getting Verizon"s LTE Home Internet, I have it on a trial basis now and it works fine.... except I can no longer access my cameras remotely. I am using BI 5 and R2 foscam cameras. I have seen info about using vpn's or tunneling, etc, but it seem too complicated for me anymore. I really like my setup, and hope I can find a way to access it remotely.
I am running the Verizon LTE Gateway/Router dynamic IP, bridged, and running everything from my own router, access point and extension. Please tell me there is a simple way to do this,
Well I have gone thru the tutorial again, and everything seems to be correct... however when I get to the page on the remote access wizard of BI Web server by Verified server it says The operation has timed out and there is a red X, so I am stuck there :(

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well I have gone thru the tutorial again, and everything seems to be correct... however when I get to the page on the remote access wizard of BI Web server by Verified server it says The operation has timed out and there is a red X, so I am stuck there :(
Most residential cellular wireless, whether mobile or fixed, is CGNAT (Carrier Grade Network Address Translation) meaning you have no public IP available. Unless their business dept. can offer a public (and likely static) IP address (and if so, probably VERY expensive), I think Zerotier or Tailscale is your best best.
I use neither so I can't advise, there are several on IPCT that have had very good results, hopefully one will chime in shortly. :cool:

Reaction score
This is a generic description of my Tailscale setup, and might be a straightforward solution for the OP.

I have a Netgate 2100 firewall appliance (currently $349 - there is a $189 smaller appliance) that uses pfSense. The appliance has a
Tailscale "package" meaning Tailscale gets installed on the firewall, but does not need to be installed on clients behind the firewall.
In addition to accessing UI3, I also like to be able to see my my Home Assistant status. I have not tested from other clients, but it
works from my Android phone and my wife's iPhone and Macbook.

1683912662257.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you running the Verizon router/ gateway bridged (pass through)? That is how I am running mine, that way all my other devices remain unchanged.
No sir I am not. I am running the Asus router downstream in AP/ mode. Almost everything is running thru that. DHCP assignments are from Verizon device.
Everything had to change from a 192.168.1.xxx to a 192.168.0.xxx anyway when I left comcast.
1683918306489.png

ChuckB

n3wb
Reaction score
No sir I am not. I am running the Asus router downstream in AP/ mode. Almost everything is running thru that. DHCP assignments are from Verizon device.
Everything had to change from a 192.168.1.xxx to a 192.168.0.xxx anyway when I left comcast.
View attachment 162778
So you left the Verizon as it was ... with wifi turned on?