Using IP Camera System as Sports Broadcasting Units

Reaction score
Hello ipcamtalk,

My name is Dash, the founder of LyveSports. I am interested in using IP Cameras to create a live broadcasting system for high school football games. In my head, it works perfectly, however, I am certain there are obstacles and areas I am overlooking. Before I invest money in this system, can you please let me know if this is feasible? If not, any input on how it could be possible would be awesome.

1) Buy an IP, PTZ Camera and place it at a football stadium
2) Take the RTSP submitted from the camera, and run it into a broadcasting software (vMix for example)
3) Have on offsite, remote location, receive the feed and do the editing
4) Take this new feed and then send this new RTSP to a streaming software like Wowza.com
5) I embed this feed and fans/viewers can watch the game

Some questions/concerns I have:
- Is it possible to setup these IP Cameras without a DVR/NVR? I will be recording remotely so no need to record on one.
- If i setup a PTZ, will there be a latency by panning and tilting? I need to make sure I can accurately keep up with the gameplay.

I know this idea is a bit different use than most for IP Cameras, but I would love to have a central broadcasting studio that receives IP Streams, and distributes them onto my website (LyveSports.com)

Thanks in advance,

Dash

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting use case, but it has challenges.

Fast action sports are captured at 60 fps (actually 59.97) and these cameras usually peak at 30fps. Fixed focal length lenses for these cameras are 2.8mm/4mm/6mm so your choices are really wide angle or wide angle. If you use a PTZ, then you can zoom.

Will you have camera operators for each camera? Your PTZ controls will be an operator challenge. The controls are web based and you will have many frames of delay in the video due to the time it takes to compress and decompress and display. And at 30 fps, each frame is more critical.

Editing and live broadcast are not the same thing. You need a video switcher. That thing in the death star that fired the weapon. Best to switch on site so you don't need to stream all the cameras, just the switched output.

Watch espn, count the cameras and look at the positions. Some sports are easier than others.