Using Dynamic DNS Hostname instead of IP address

tloomos

n3wb
Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been answered in another thread, but I looked and couldn't find anything. Found a post over at cam-it.org that exactly describes my issue, but I didn't see a resolution provided to the OP question in the thread.(http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=5881.0)

I have BI setup and configured properly as best I can tell. I'm able to connect through the Android app while on my home wifi or while remote. I'm also able to connect to the website locally as well as remote IF I use the WAN IP address to connect when remote. I'm using a dynamic dns service so that I have a hostname rather than having to remember an IP address and that's where I'm running into trouble.

If I use my hostname & port number combination when remote, I can get to the login page for my system, so routing and port forwarding are all working as expected. However, it will not allow me to login - it just keeps going back to the login page after I enter valid credentials. If I replace the hostname with the WAN IP address, I can login with no problems. Once logged in, if I change the IP address back to the hostname, it bounces me back to the login page again.

It seems as if BI has a check during login to ensure that the hostname portion of the URL matches what it has configured as the external address.

I thought this would be as simple as changing the external address to be my hostname in the settings page within Blue Iris, but that field seems to be locked down. It automatically detects my WAN IP address and populates it and I cannot change the value.

Is there a setting I'm missing or some way that I can tell BI that my external URL is a hostname rather than having it auto-detect the external IP and populate it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@tloomos it should work using the method you described..you dont have to do anything differently...there is something else going on.
Try deleting the user and adding it back...,

tloomos

n3wb
Reaction score
I created a new user and configured it as an administrator, but I'm seeing the same results. Note that if I use the IP address instead of the hostname when connecting remotely, the user ids and passwords DO work and I'm able to login as expected. I only run into an issue when trying to use the hostname. When using the hostname, it is presenting me with the login page for my installation, so it seems to be getting to the web server and serving up the page with no problem.

It almost seems as if BI checking the request headers to ensure that the URL I'm trying to connect to matches what is configured for remote access, but I don't see any way to change that external address to be the hostname instead of the auto-populated IP address.

Another interesting note is that if I turn off authentication in the advanced section, then I can use the hostname to get into the system. It seems like it has something to do with how the authentication is programmed.

Are others able to edit the external server address?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I created a new user and configured it as an administrator, but I'm seeing the same results. Note that if I use the IP address instead of the hostname when connecting remotely, the user ids and passwords DO work and I'm able to login as expected. I only run into an issue when trying to use the hostname. When using the hostname, it is presenting me with the login page for my installation, so it seems to be getting to the web server and serving up the page with no problem.

It almost seems as if BI checking the request headers to ensure that the URL I'm trying to connect to matches what is configured for remote access, but I don't see any way to change that external address to be the hostname instead of the auto-populated IP address.

Another interesting note is that if I turn off authentication in the advanced section, then I can use the hostname to get into the system. It seems like it has something to do with how the authentication is programmed.

Are others able to edit the external server address?
You cant edit the external ip as it is simply there for informational purposes...I many BI systems and they all work fine using ddns..something else is going on...what DDNS service are you using?

tloomos

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using dyndns.org. It's bizarre that I can get to the login page using the hostname and if I turn authentication off, I can get into the system with it. That indicates to me that the hostname is resolving properly and the port forwarding is all configured properly as well.

tloomos

n3wb
Reaction score
Ughhh. I should have thought to do this sooner - just tried a different browser and it worked fine, so it's something to do with Chrome, or at least with my installation of Chrome. I tried Firefox and it worked perfectly. Also works fine with IE (save for needing the Active control).

I'll see if I can figure out what's getting in the way in Chrome and will post back here in case anyone else encounters a similar issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm using dyndns.org. It's bizarre that I can get to the login page using the hostname and if I turn authentication off, I can get into the system with it. That indicates to me that the hostname is resolving properly and the port forwarding is all configured properly as well.
it is odd...I use dyndns as well with no issues...i would email support....

camwarren

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same issue only mine is for both Chrome and IE. Firefox works