Using camera's motion detection over BI motion detection

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm trying to troubleshoot some motion detect issues in Blue Iris and would like to do some testing where the motion detection in my Dahua 42212TNI camera triggers the video capture in blue iris.
So in summary, I'm trying to set up a scenario where Blue Iris triggers are off, and the camera's trigger is configured/used to trigger and tell Blue Iris to record the event.
I thought I saw some instructions on how to do this before, using DIO? from the camera, but can't locate them anymore.
Can anyone provide some basic steps to achieve this goal?

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks. I thought I saw a way to still do this via Onvif from the Dahua camera, you're right, maybe I was looking into this for a Hikvision camera I had at the time.
I've since saved a backup of the camera's reg file, then deleted the camera and started with similar basic triggering parameters I had before, but from scratch.
So far, the camera seems to be triggering much better. I noticed the old reg file is about 3 times larger than the newly created/saved reg file from the camera.
Wonder if there was something glitchy in the reg file... either way, I'll watch it for a few days to see if my triggers from BI are as good as they are from the camera's gui, which is started this troubleshooting
My cameras gui was always catching stuff that BI triggers were not.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's a great idea but it looks like my Dahua camera doesn't support onvif triggers for my BI to see. :(

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My trick is to clone the camera. Then set one for BI motion detection and the other for ONVIF/IVS/Dahua triggers. That allows comparison and some real fine tuning by looking at each event detected by each method.
Do you have a Dahua camera that does this?
If not, what camera are you using this for and can you shoot me some basic settings you set to make this happen (to check if I'm doing this right)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using Dahua. Just enable the Smart Plan for IVS, the light bulb icon, then create either trip wires or intrusion boxes in the Events tab. All of this is done in the GUI of the camera of course. In BI you do need to "turn on" ONVIF subscription events. That's in the "Video" "Configure" subtab of the camera sort of on the lower right. It should work fine.

Cameras in use are 5442, 3241, 5231, 4231 and 2231.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm using Dahua. Just enable the Smart Plan for IVS, the light bulb icon, then create either trip wires or intrusion boxes in the Events tab. All of this is done in the GUI of the camera of course. In BI you do need to "turn on" ONVIF subscription events. That's in the "Video" "Configure" subtab of the camera sort of on the lower right. It should work fine.

Cameras in use are 5442, 3241, 5231, 4231 and 2231.
That's odd because I did all of that but will double check it again... thanks!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
One thing that can trip things up is what camera you've configured it for in the "Video" tab. I let BI find and inspect and let it set everything up on its' own. Another pitfall can be the firmware on the camera, but that's pretty rare.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Still not seeing any love. Settings as you suggested in both posts above. I'll keep playing around with it, maybe try intrusion next over tripwire.

astroshare

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One thing that can trip things up is what camera you've configured it for in the "Video" tab. I let BI find and inspect and let it set everything up on its' own. Another pitfall can be the firmware on the camera, but that's pretty rare.
Do you mind sharing your BI Video config tab for the 5442 camera for IVS detection? I'm trying to get this configured also, but I only get errors "Events: subscription 00002efd"

cap4.PNG

Reaction score
I'm trying to troubleshoot some motion detect issues in Blue Iris and would like to do some testing where the motion detection in my Dahua 42212TNI camera triggers the video capture in blue iris.
So in summary, I'm trying to set up a scenario where Blue Iris triggers are off, and the camera's trigger is configured/used to trigger and tell Blue Iris to record the event.
I thought I saw some instructions on how to do this before, using DIO? from the camera, but can't locate them anymore.
Can anyone provide some basic steps to achieve this goal?
See the attached website, he explains it well