User account control

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know it's been asked before but I'm not following 100%. I'm the only admin on a PC and I want to kick-off BI5 sometimes without being prompted "This software wants to make changes..." . Is there an easy way to do this? My old installation (new desktop now) didn't have that "issue". For now, I've just changed the "Run as a service" setting to be checked. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe this will assist you:

STARTUP

From BI's built-in Help at "More Options" => "Startup"

Many startup options control the way in which Blue Iris works with the operating system......

Running as a service or without Windows Admin privileges is quite an important topic, so
it is covered in the next chapter on Administration.......

ADMINISTRATION

From Help at "Administration" => "Windows Administrator Access"

Blue Iris is security software, and as such requires Windows Administrator access to the PC. All settings are also stored in the Windows system registry under a location only accessible by a PC administrator. It is possible to configure the software to allow access by non-administrators in a couple of ways.
First, when running as a service, you can un-check the default option on the Startup page in Settings to Always run as Windows Admin.
You must also:
• Configure a user/password on the Users page in Settings. The user will be prompted for this when running the software. Although you may select Admin access for this account, the user will only truly have Admin access if they are a Windows system administrator.
• Provide a desktop icon link to BlueIris.exe instead of BlueIrisAdmin.exe
Instead, you may alter the access rights on the registry key used by Blue Iris to include non-administrators. The software checks writability to this key when determining if Administrator access is allowed. Open REGEDIT and locate the key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris
You may edit the permissions on this key to provide full control to the Everyone user or to a specific user or group. You must still run BlueIris.exe instead of BlueIrisAdmin.exe to avoid the Windows UAC authentication prompt.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
User account control is the first thing I disable when I build a Windows machine. Have you looked in the control panel to make "adjustments" to UAC or disable altogether?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know it's been asked before but I'm not following 100%. I'm the only admin on a PC and I want to kick-off BI5 sometimes without being prompted "This software wants to make changes..." . Is there an easy way to do this? My old installation (new desktop now) didn't have that "issue". For now, I've just changed the "Run as a service" setting to be checked. Thanks!!!
You should be running as a service anyway...