Useful Hack: Remote Desktop Improvements (444 graphics more for Remote Desktop)

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Handy Hack to improve the performance of Remote Desktop with Blue Iris (also great for gaming as you can get tp to 60fps).,
The key setting to enable is called "Prioritize H.264/AVC 444 graphics mode for Remote Desktop".
Note: Requires the Windows 10 RDP Client or a 3rd Party client that supports the H.264/AVC 444 codec.

This policy setting prioritizes the H.264/AVC 444 graphics mode for non-RemoteFX vGPU scenarios. When you use this setting on the RDP server, the server will use H.264/AVC 444 as the codec in an RDP 10 connection where both the client and server can use H.264/AVC 444.

When enabled you should experience far smoother playback with less blockiness.

Launch Local Group Policy Editor -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Remote Session Environment

Then enable "Prioritize H.264/AVC 444 graphics mode for Remote Desktop". I have also enable Hardware Acceleration, however milage will vary as requires a supported Nvidia GPU.

1664191300668.png

Note: before making changes to Remote Desktop Settings, please ensure you have local access. to back out the change if required.

Last edited:

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
WARNING... I made these changes on my headless BI machine (without a GPU) and it disabled my screen completely via RDP. I ended up having to hook a monitor, mouse and keyboard to my BI machine so that I could undo the changes.

Last edited:

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
WARNING... I made these changes on my headless BI machine (without a GPU) and it disabled my screen completely via RDP. I ended up having to hook a monitor, mouse and keyboard to my BI machine so that I could undo the changes.
Good warning, can't say that is something I have experienced, all my installs are headless.
"Prioritize H.264/AVC 444 graphics mode for Remote Desktop", does not require an NVIDIA GPU.
The "hardware encoding options" do require NVIDIA GPU's, but I have always had it fall back to non-GPU.

Curious any chance you are using either an old or third party RDP client?
Possibly the client needs to be Windows 10 or higher to support "H.264/AVC 444"

Let me edit the post with your warning.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Curious any chance you are using either an old or third party RDP client?
Possibly the client needs to be Windows 10 or higher to support "H.264/AVC 444"
I'm using the latest Microsoft RDP client for macOS Big Sur and iOS 16. However, I tried to RDP into BI from another Windows 10 machine on my network with the same results.