used PC with no OS

agarb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Somewhere (wiki?) I thought I read that it is not an issue to buy a PC that has no hard drive or OS because the Windows license key is embedded in the hardware.

Can anybody confirm and point me to a resource that describes the process to install and how to properly license windows?

Is it simply a matter of creating the windows installation media using Microsoft-provided tools?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct in most cases and it is as simple as you said.

agarb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is correct in most cases and it is as simple as you said.
OK, I bought a used PC from ebay that came with an OS. After watching additional auctions and listings, I determined that I probably could have saved a good bit by buying something with no HDD/OS.

Since the used machines with no HDD/OS are so inexpensive, I'm thinking I may buy another system as a spare and for my daughter to use for school.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Just dont buy a Home built PC. those mother boards may not have a Microsoft embedded license.
It's the Corporate off lease machine that have the "Pro" license.
in the Dell lineup, the cheapy's come with a "home" license
Stay away from Inspiron, look for Optiplex or Precision or Latitude.
Some XPS had Pro licenses as well as Vostro.
not well versed on HP's line up. but the Elitedesk has a Pro license. probably the Pro desk as well.

Reactions: Ghm

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
When you install W 10 pro or W 11 pro, it will flag a nag screen post install if the device was intended as a " home" license product usually by not activating.
Anything available at Best buy in the consumer lineup's will probably have the "home" license.
If you ever use the box in the future for BI, it's better to have the "Pro" version of windows running.

agarb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I have primarily been looking at SFF machines, Dell Optiplex and HP Elitedesk.

Injunfarian

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you ever use the box in the future for BI, it's better to have the "Pro" version of windows running.
It has been well over 10 years since I purchased/used a Windows Machine and I am just getting back into it for my BI server, unfortunately the system that I purchased was a Best Buy consumer computer with the Home license. I did do some quick research on the microsoft comparison page but didn't dive too deep into it.. Is there some particular features that are only available on pro that is being used on a BI/Home Assistant dedicated machine?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It has been well over 10 years since I purchased/used a Windows Machine and I am just getting back into it for my BI server, unfortunately the system that I purchased was a Best Buy consumer computer with the Home license. I did do some quick research on the microsoft comparison page but didn't dive too deep into it.. Is there some particular features that are only available on pro that is being used on a BI/Home Assistant dedicated machine?
Mainly presence of Group Policy and RDP on Pro

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
you can disable automatic Updates in Pro in group policy.....there may be other workarounds. or let it update, and if it goes wonky with BI....use a back up to revert back to previous image.
I create a new C drive image everyday at 9 am. with Macrium Reflect. if something Shits The Bed, I can go back to yesterday with the C drive.

Injunfarian

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you can disable automatic Updates in Pro in group policy.....there may be other workarounds. or let it update, and if it goes wonky with BI....use a back up to revert back to previous image.
I create a new C drive image everyday at 9 am. with Macrium Reflect. if something Shits The Bed, I can go back to yesterday with the C drive.
Good to know yeah that can definitely be important to be able to disable auto updates, thank you for that information.