USB Network Adapters? Computer Performance

ocyberbum

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone I need some Advice!, I wanted to see if anyone has tried running Blue Iris on a laptop using a usb 3.0 Network Adapter, and if so how many cameras are you using? Do you think using my newer Toshiba laptop would give me better performance while using the USB 3.0 network adapter?
I have 6 Cameras total, But Blue Iris is only setup for 3 recording in HD and 1 in SD and i wanted to know if it would be an issue since i want to add more and upgrade my 3 x FI8918w to HD versions. It looks like the Toshiba would give me better specs performance overall since my HP laptop seems to be at 65-75% usage when recording (Motion) 4 cameras and i noticed my FI9900p is dropping frames already. I contacted Blue Iris and they recommended i come here and ask my question

This is the adapter i was looking at StarTech USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet NIC Network Adapter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0095EFXMC/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Running BlueIris with latest updates
2 x FI9803P
1 x FI9900P
3 x FI8918w

Dedicated Network using TRENDnet 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Switch

Current laptop with built in newtork card
HP Pavilion G7 Notebook
Intel i5-2430m CPU@2.40 6GB Ram

New laptop is Toshiba Satellite Radius P55W-B5220

Intel i5-4210U Up to 1.70GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.40ghz
- 8GB RAM

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think there is going to be much of a difference between the two i5's capabilities..

foscams dropping frames is nothing new, are sure its your NVR thats the problem?

USB is a shared bus, meaning one thing can impact another.. I would not suggest it, because you could plug in another USB device and really start dropping frames as they fight for throughput.. and a cheap network card often adds load to the CPU.