US Elections (& Politics) :)

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I love some social media because WE CAN EXERCISE our 1ST. most precious right backed up
by the 2nd.

An example, I just published on another site how to repair the Parking Aid Speaker in one of my Edges.
I have search diligently for it's location and how to repair it. Today I received a blue print pic. From that
I knew WHERE IT WAS! I have published pics of where and how to fix it for less than $20 the part and
god knows how much labor nor what they messed up this time.
A forum? Or a social media site such as IG, TT, X, FB? Forums have been around forever before social media was a thing.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I was on forums on IRC before GUI became a thing, but what do I know, eh? :p
I was on IRC back in the 33.6k and 56k days... used to run botnets to takeover #channels lol, ran my BitchX irc clients on open (!) linux and unix boxes that you could install BitchX on. Ah, the wild wild west days of irc!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey hey hey now, don't ipcamtalk and other discussion forums fall under that umbrella? I don't do FB, IG, X, TikTok or any of the rest of them, but I will fight someone if they target my forums!
Exactly!

'Social Media" is simply a new name for an online service that allows you to post your own content. Having been in 'the business" since 1992 (yes, AOL WAS the internet then and we were just figuring out email, and "newsgroups" were our "online chat")

Its not the platform its the people. it won't stop with TiKTok I can assure you. How long do you think the liberals who invade here now and then would take to try to have IPCT shut down?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Why the TikTok Ban is So Dangerous

“This is not an attempt to ban TikTok, it’s an attempt to make TikTok better,” is how Nancy Pelosi put it. Congress, the theory goes, will force TikTok to divest, some kindly Wall Street consortium will gobble it up (“It’s a great business and I’m going to put together a group to buy TikTok,” Steve Mnuchin told CNBC), and life will go on. All good, right?

Not exactly. The bill passed in the House that’s likely to win the Senate and be swiftly signed into law by the White House’s dynamic Biden hologram is at best tangentially about TikTok.
You’ll find the real issue in the fine print. There, the “technical assistance” the drafters of the bill reportedly received from the White House shines through, Look particularly at the first highlighted portion, and sections (i) and (ii) of (3)B:

As written, any “website, desktop application, mobile application, or augmented or immersive technology application” that is “determined by the President to present a significant threat to the National Security of the United States” is covered.

Currently, the definition of “foreign adversary” includes Russia, Iran, North Korea, and China.
The definition of “controlled,” meanwhile, turns out to be a word salad, applying to:
(A) a foreign person that is domiciled in, is headquartered in, has its principal place of business in, or is organized under the laws of a foreign adversary country;
(B) an entity with respect to which a foreign person or combination of foreign persons described in subparagraph (A) directly or indirectly own at least a 20 percent stake; or
(C) a person subject to the direction or control of a foreign person or entity described in subparagraph (A) or (B).
A “foreign adversary controlled application,” in other words, can be any company founded or run by someone living at the wrong foreign address, or containing a small minority ownership stake. Or it can be any company run by someone “subject to the direction” of either of those entities. Or, it’s anything the president says it is. Vague enough?

As Newsweek reported, the bill was fast-tracked after a secret “intelligence community briefing” of Congress led by the FBI, Department of Justice, and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI). The magazine noted that if everything goes as planned, the bill will give Biden the authority to shut down an app used by 150 million Americans just in time for the November elections.

Say you’re a Democrat, however, and that scenario doesn’t worry you. As America This Week co-host Walter Kirn notes, the bill would give a potential future President Donald Trump “unprecedented powers to censor and control the internet.” If that still doesn’t bother you, you’re either not worried about the election, or you’ve been overstating your fear of “dictatorial” Trump.

We have two decades of data showing how national security measures in the 9-11 era evolve. In 2004 the George W. Bush administration defined “enemy combatant” as “an individual who was part of or supporting Taliban or al Qaeda forces, or associated forces that are engaged in hostilities against the United States.” Yet in oral arguments of Rosul et al v Bush later that year, the government conceded an enemy combatant could be a “little old lady in Switzerland” who “wrote a check” to what she thought was an orphanage.