US Elections (& Politics) :)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
They want 25Billion for the post office to handle the ballots. There are about 153 million registered voters. 25B/153=163. When you teach common core math the net result is $163 dollars for a ballot to go round trip. Not to mention the PO is not going to be insolvent until after the election, they handle over 400 million pieces of mail PER DAY so these ballots are a joke, they wont even feel it.
Funny how the Democrats had no interest in the USPS until they became aware of using it for mail in balloting. Then all of a sudden it became a big priority. :D

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
the places that are losing their sorting machines are going to feel it.

My sister works for the post office, with the cut back in hours and losing the equipment they are having a hard time keeping up with regular day to day stuff. she's in a rural part of the state; i cant imagine what its like in the larger cities.
No way is the post office set up for this kind of mail. It would probably take 6 months to get it up to standard for this type of mail.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Chris Wallace Unloads On Biden Campaign For Avoiding Interviews: ‘Damnedest Thing I’ve Ever Seen’

Fox News anchor Chris Wallace unloaded on presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden late last week for continuing to avoid media interviews as he runs a “basement strategy” campaign.

Wallace made the remarks during a Fox News Radio interview in response to the Biden campaign not putting anyone from the campaign on television during today’s Sunday morning news shows.

“So, I’ve been doing Sunday shows with conventions – I started on Meet the Press in 1988. I’ve been doing it on and off, for what? What is that? Thirty two years. And it always happens that the Sunday before the convention, the campaign puts out top officials to preview the convention and to say this is what we’re gonna try to get accomplished,” Wallace said. “So, you know, we’ve [been] counting all week on, you know, having a top official from the Biden campaign, the campaign manager, the top pollster, the chief strategist, to talk about what they’re going to talk about during this next week. They are not putting anybody out.”

“And at first I thought, well, maybe it’s because it’s Fox News and they’re boycotting us,” Wallace continued. “No, they’re not putting anybody out on any of the Sunday shows … I don’t understand what’s going on here. This is the damnedest thing I’ve ever seen that you would, you know, you’re basically giving a campaign – and as I say, it’s a traditional thing. We’re gonna do it for the Republicans a week from Sunday. What are you trying to accomplish this week? And they, the Biden campaign isn’t putting anybody out.”

More at the link: Chris Wallace Unloads On Biden Campaign For Avoiding Interviews: ‘Damnedest Thing I’ve Ever Seen’

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
the places that are losing their sorting machines are going to feel it.

My sister works for the post office, with the cut back in hours and losing the equipment they are having a hard time keeping up with regular day to day stuff. she's in a rural part of the state; i cant imagine what its like in the larger cities.
They need to charge more cut pay and unreasonable insane pensions and benefits just like any other business does. This whole crisis was manufactured by Congress when they forced the post office to pre-fund their pension system.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo blames the US Federal Government for not noticing the "European Virus" attacking NY

Notice how Gov. Andrew Cuomo shifts all responsibility to the US Federal Government for failing
".. the Virus had been attacking us for months before they even knew it was here.. " - I always thought it was first the responsibility of the State Government to care for it's denizens, and that's why States tax and have health care departments.

Basically: "Joe Biden will save us.. "

Watch Gov. Andrew Cuomo call COVID-19 the 'European virus'

BobRegnar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are a couple of items you are forgetting. He lost the popular vote and only won by having enough votes in key swing states to garner the EC victory.
Back when the 49ers began their Super Bowl losing streak in SB XLVII against the Ravens (the Harbaugh Bros Bowl) the Ravens lost the total yards, passing yards and rushing yards contest and only won by having enough points on the board to garner the SB victory.

You win by scoring more points than your opponent, all else be damned, it's only for TV talking heads and analysts to agonize over. Hillary didn't come any closer to winning the election than the Niners did winning the SB. Only the Niners didn't cry for the next four years that losing by having a lower score is the Ravens cheating.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Again, Hypocrisy at its best. When elected officials haven't even taken science classes, they shouldn't be commenting. Period.

NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo blames the US Federal Government for not noticing the "European Virus" attacking NY

Notice how Gov. Andrew Cuomo shifts all responsibility to the US Federal Government for failing
".. the Virus had been attacking us for months before they even knew it was here.. " - I always thought it was first the responsibility of the State Government to care for it's denizens, and that's why States tax and have health care departments.

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They need to charge more cut pay and unreasonable insane pensions and benefits just like any other business does. This whole crisis was manufactured by Congress when they forced the post office to pre-fund their pension system.

it goes a bit beyond that. in addition to pre-funding pensions for an ungodly amount of time they also cannot charge more than their cost for first class shipping. Which means at best they can only break even; which in a business environment is dangerous.

ideally they should be able to have a bit of a mark up, especially when handling packages from other carriers like UPS and Fedex. Especially since the USPS will deliver to places that the other carriers won't.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Can we call it the New York virus since it spread from there after Europe?

I'm betting he would have a problem with that.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
it goes a bit beyond that. in addition to pre-funding pensions for an ungodly amount of time they also cannot charge more than their cost for first class shipping. Which means at best they can only break even; which in a business environment is dangerous.

ideally they should be able to have a bit of a mark up, especially when handling packages from other carriers like UPS and Fedex. Especially since the USPS will deliver to places that the other carriers won't.
They have been regularly raising prices for years. Priority mail is getting close to the price of FedEx and UPS, at nowhere near the reliability.

Like I said, if they can't at least break even, maybe its time to consider privatizing it. It's not fair to charge taxpayers for their bloated pensions and mismanagement.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score

Government pensions should end all together across the board period.

If government workers has to fend for their own investing and retirement plan, maybe they would vote to put officials and policy into place that would strength America.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They have been regularly raising prices for years. Priority mail is getting close to the price of FedEx and UPS, at nowhere near the reliability.

Like I said, if they can't at least break even, maybe its time to consider privatizing it. It's not fair to charge taxpayers for their bloated pensions and mismanagement.
With the price of shipping. I stopped selling items on Ebay. It is crazy to sell a $30 item with a $10 shipping free.
Now I buy some junk from Fastech and shipping is free or really low. So how in the hell does China get away with low shipping fees?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With the price of shipping. I stopped selling items on Ebay. It is crazy to sell a $30 item with a $10 shipping free.
Now I buy some junk from Fastech and shipping is free or really low. So how in the hell does China get away with low shipping fees?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
HI @vandyman

PRC China is considered a developing nation and thus gets special treatment for cheap mailing...

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score

This Cuomo character is a riot. When President Trump but a ban on European travel to the United States because of Covid-19, Cuomo was one of those who criticized him for it. This is the same man who forced thousands of Covid-19 patients into nursing homes while the hospital in the Javits center was under utilized and the same with the USS Mercy.

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

prices will always go up, at minimum to compensate for inflation.

that said i just did a little experiment.

using my employer's corporate UPS account i did some comparisons in pricing.

For a large box with 2.5 lbs of weight to be shipped from my zip code to a zip code in NYC
UPS 2nd day air 29.90 before company discount and 16.96 after the corporate discount.
USPS 2nd day air $21.10 (i dont have access to our company account info to see what our discounted rate would be )

I also did a search of what it cost to send one of those large cardboard envelops to the same location with a 2.5 lbs weight.

UPS Next day air 83.84 (only received a 1 cent discount)
UPS 2nd day air 26.73 (discount price 15.06)
USPS next day air $26.35
USPS 2nd day air $8.05

from an average citizen standpoint USPS has a slight, but noticeable edge in pricing for packaging with service to more locations, and a substantial price advantage for envelope deliveries.

on a personal level though my only issues with the USPS, pre-covid, is they lost a package that was sent from the UK a few years ago, and the lines can be kind of long at the post office. Also my postal worker thought he was being nice and dropping my mail off at my work (same guy for both) and i had to ask him to stop because i didnt know how my employer would care for me receiving firearm related stuff at the office.
UPS, again pre-covid, i've had a few lost packages to include one where the driver, supposedly, left someone else's package in my backyard and they wanted to do a search.
don't use Fedex much for sending, and rarely get anything receiving.
and DHL just sucks and always takes longer than is quoted

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Rolling blackouts in Commifornia. Now Commissar Newsom, or is that nuisance, is "re-thinking" their reliance on alternative energy. Even Elmer Fudd could have predicted this would happen. As a side note, you know who made millions off of Commifornia solar and wind farms? How about the Koch brothers. :rofl:

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the Mail in voting (discounting absentee ballots) is kinda/sorta/maybe illegal.

I'm stating this using these two items (not that the law has any meaning any more):

USPS.jpg

Attachments