Upgrading PC- thoughts?

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all. Looking to upgrade my HP Prodesk G1 pro i5-4590 8MB, it’s getting a little slow. Currently have 6x2MP and 3x4MP cams, plus a DB110.

would like to stay in the $300 range for the upgrade, thoughts on these two? Or could I do better?0C66FB36-22FD-4101-BB13-075AC82E4981.jpeg

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
MY choice, The HP Pavilion it has an SSD and 16GB memory.

The deskpro you will need to add an SSD and memory
also add a dedicated surveillance harddrive to both systems.

I run 17 cameras (500 MP/s) on an I7-4790 with 16 GB memory and an 128 GB SSD with a WD purple drive dedicated to video. It runs at 20% CPU, no deepstack.

look at Passmark to compare CPUs PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - CPU Mega Page - Detailed List of Benchmarked CPUs

Your current I5 should be able to handle your current load with no problems if you are not using deepstack. Bring it up to 16GB memory with an SSD.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I run 17 cameras (500 MP/s) on an I7-4790 with 16 GB memory and an 128 GB SSD with a WD purple drive dedicated to video. It runs at 20% CPU, no deepstack.

look at Passmark to compare CPUs PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - CPU Mega Page - Detailed List of Benchmarked CPUs

Your current I5 should be able to handle your current load with no problems if you are not using deepstack. Bring it up to 16GB memory with an SSD.
Thanks @SouthernYankee. I'd definitely prefer to upgrade my current i5 instead of purchasing a new (refurbished) one. I don't do deepstack, it was way too much for my system, along with other reasons.

I've currently got a 4TB purple drive in it for video and a new 240gb SSD for C drive. You think if I just bump up the memory from 8 to 16gb I'll see enough improvement? And it's as easy as buying a second 8gb RAM and installing?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And make sure you are doing EVERY optimization in the wiki! Substreams are a must!

A member here runs 50 cams on a 4th gen at 30% CPU, and recently a new member reported 18 cams on a 3rd gen at 15%.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And make sure you are doing EVERY optimization in the wiki! Substreams are a must!

A member here runs 50 cams on a 4th gen at 30% CPU, and recently a new member reported 18 cams on a 3rd gen at 15%.

Substreams were a game changer for me! Brought my i5 down from ~30ish% to 10-15%.

I'm noticing lagging during my recordings at times, and on playback. I'll even miss a few seconds of recording because of the stutter on my 5231 cams.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

:goodpost:
Yep, this!!

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@TVille @SouthernYankee @wittaj I appreciate all your input. I'm able to add 32gb RAM to this thing, currently running 8gb. Should I upgrade to 16 or 24gb and see what improvements that makes? If I can, I'd rather avoid having to buy and setup a new system, so if I can just upgrade this current one I'm good with that.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@TVille @SouthernYankee @wittaj I appreciate all your input. I'm able to add 32gb RAM to this thing, currently running 8gb. Should I upgrade to 16 or 24gb and see what improvements that makes? If I can, I'd rather avoid having to buy and setup a new system, so if I can just upgrade this current one I'm good with that.
My "new" machine, an i7-6700, came with 8 GB. Running 14 or so cameras, DeepStack and ALPR, it used about 75% of memory. I upgraded to 16 GB because it was cheap. Right now, Task manager is reporting 48% memory usage on my 16 GB. So more than 16 GB is probably a waste.