Upgrading my machine - P cores and E cores?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm upgrading my system. I want it to be a little less botched together so I will go for a bigger board with more PCI-E and some better features

I'm looking at a new intel build, and a lot of the CPU's have P cores and E cores. Does this benefit Blue Iris at all?

I am not using sub streams, and often my CPU get hit 100 when multiple people are live viewing cameras in UI3 and viewing recording at the same time, etc

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my system. I want it to be a little less botched together so I will go for a bigger board with more PCI-E and some better features

I'm looking at a new intel build, and a lot of the CPU's have P cores and E cores. Does this benefit Blue Iris at all?

I am not using sub streams, and often my CPU get hit 100 when multiple people are live viewing cameras in UI3 and viewing recording at the same time, etc
You need to configure your substreams and save an excessive computer build.

My system right now running 9 cameras: 10% CPU usage (it spiked up when I looked at it), with all cams recording 24/7 I am using a NINE YEAR OLD DELL with a I-5 FOURTH generation processor

1707386759954.png

1707387191962.png

You don't need a new computer-- you need substreams.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to configure your substreams and save an excessive computer build.

My system right now running 9 cameras: 10% CPU usage (it spiked up when I looked at it), with all cams recording 24/7 I am using a NINE YEAR OLD DELL with a I-5 FOURTH generation processor

View attachment 185586

View attachment 185587

You don't need a new computer-- you need substreams.
We have tried for years to convince him to use substreams, but he is too hard-headed LOL.

He also refuses to use coupons when he buys pizza :lmao:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blasting mainstream to multiple devices will also bring down your network in addition to strangling your computer...

In BI under Camera status where it shows all your cameras and the bitrates, IP, name, etc., at the very bottom is a number in MP/s - what is your number?

And one camera versus your 15+ cameras on a screen and you won't notice it's substream...

And the camera always goes to mainstream when you solo it out.

You can always bump the bitrate of the substream. Make it 1024 or 2048 and you won't tell the difference in multi-camera view.

Give it a day with substreams and you won't notice a difference. Of course you will perceive a difference at first because you know you changed it.

This D1 resolution isn't good enough for you in multi-camera view but is more than good enough for OpenALPR to read it?

Give it a shot - send your D1 substream to OpenALPR and be amazed at its accuracy....

1701402337208.png

If substreams degraded the performance none of us would use it.

Plus when you solo a camera, it goes to mainstream.

While this thread is for LPR, tell me that the D1 resolution at a higher bitrate is not good enough for your eyes in a multi-camera view. Or as pointed out, use a higher substream resolution.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Look at Mr. Moneybags over here with his 9 year old computer...

I am using a Xeon E3 that was released in 2011. 13 years ago. I got the one that is quicksync compatible. Allows you to use ECC memory.

I have another E3 running ESXi that has an up time of over 1000 days now... Coming up on 3 years. Hard to beat that type of reliability...

I want to install a SSD drive in it, maybe add a graphics card, CORAL, and run Linux bare metal but now I just want to see how long I can get it to run for.

I might just build a brand new Linux box and keep ESXi up just to see how long it goes...

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh boy, I guess I ought to try sub streams again

But, I will say that this system needs to be replaced. Its so hacked together!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I too sort of hated substreams when they were first introduced, hated the blip you got when full screening a cam but BI and that blip has now been fine tuned to a point where I’ve either got used to it or it just not that noticeable now.

Worst comes to worst you could try it on a few, it’s not a all or nothing type adoption, just to see how you get on?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
And much better than doing triggered recording. Just let it run and at least you've always got something and without too much of a storage hit.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I currently record full quality 24/7, and I don't have much of an issue with storage

When doing sub-streams, the 24/7 recording is lower quality?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the beauty, you can record 24/7 mainstream if you want or record substream until triggered and then mainstream, but let BI use the substreams for the functions that is much less resource hungry than doing everything on the mainstream.

Recording 24/7 mainstream isn't the CPU intensive function. Multi-cam viewing and motion detection using all mainstream is what is CPU intensive.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Multi-cam isn't too much of an issue for, my main view now has 14 cameras all 15FPS, between 2 and 4MP and CPU hovers around 20%

Its when click onto a camera on multiple machines that the CPU spikes, so I assume going to sub-stream won't really solve that problem

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My 4th generation with over double your cameras and many 8MP cameras has no problem with CPU spikes watching on multiple devices and soloing cameras.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, the trouble is that I need to replace this motherboard anyway. Its all hacked together and has some issues. Can't really replace the board without spending a ton of money on an old used board or something like that

Also, the quad port NIC in there has had some troubles, and a new board with dual WAN would solve that problem too