Upgrading Hikvision cameras, Concerned about night image

LoinKing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Currently have two DS-2CD2043G0-I (4MP) cameras for narrow alleys on both sides of the house. The problem is that wind blowing leaves and stray cats etc trigger the smart event on them all the time (false alarms).

The latest version of these cameras (DS-2CD2046G2-IU) have AcuSense feature built-in. From reading online, it seems that the AI Human detection is fairly accurate. However, I was comparing sensor specs and it looks like while both have 1/3" sensors, the newer model has 0.005 LUX rating compared to older (mine) 0.01 LUX. Does that mean it'll perform slightly better at night as well?

On the other hand, I'm considering upgrading to 6MP variant, that one has 1/2.4" sensor and same 0.005 LUX rating. I read some previous posts saying that larger MP sensors need more light. Since I can't buy and compare them, which one do you think would perform better at night 4MP or 6MP? Is it worth having the 6MP for house side alleys?

Note that We do have some dim lighting in the alleys and our current cameras are able to show color image at night as well. But if it can be improved with newer 4MP or 6MP (whichever is better) that would be a plus.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those are budget cams and will struggle at night.

Try to find MP/sensor combos that are in green:

1693406643290.png

Regarding minimum illumination, Many do not pay attention to the minimum illumination specs...because those are under ideal situations with so many factors not known.

Almost every camera will say 0 LUX with infrared or white LED on, and we all know how poorly Reolinks perform at night in low light yet that is their spec....or even two different good cameras. The 5442 4MP2.8mm fixed lens camera will beat the socks off the 5241 2MP 2.8mm fixed lens or a Reolink and they both say 0 Lux with IR on.

Heck darn near every camera will say 0 LUX with IR on....

Once upon a time manufacturers would at least say at what shutter speed that rating was based on. Most would say a 1/3 shutter. That is way to slow for anything. You need to run minimum 1/60 shutter to start to minimize blur.

But now they don't even provide that, so in most cases it is a wide open iris, slowest shutter the camera allows, and gain and brightness cranked to 100 so that they can get the lowest illumination number possible.

But nobody would run the camera in that configuration.

Some of the older cameras would give these kind of specs so you knew how the camera was setup to come up with the minimum illumination.

0.002Lux/F1.5 ( Color,1/3s,30IRE)
0.020Lux/F1.5 ( Color,1/30s,30IRE)
0Lux/F1.5 (IR on)

So of course, the faster the shutter, the more light that is needed.

To minimize blur with motion, you need to run a shutter at at least 1/60 shutter - once you start doing that, the LUX specs are out the window.

But as more competition came out, manufacturers started playing games and tweaking the settings for getting the lowest lux possible, but that came at a cost of a configuration nobody would use. So they wouldn't say how the camera was configured to capture that minimum illumination rating.

They play these marketing games to make it look like the camera is better than it is for someone that is just chasing minimum illumination numbers. Kind of like how we rarely get the miles per gallon a car is rated for.

It is a tool, but I would prefer to see the reviews here with settings provided and make an educated guess as to if my light is more or less than the reviewer.

LoinKing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The only 4MP Hikvision cameras I see with 1/1.8" sensor are Pro-series ColorVu ones. But I haven't seen good opinions about ColorVu on this forum, and afaik it requires the built-in white led light to be turned on to get good color image, right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct the ColorVu need light and cannot see infrared.

Are you married to Hikvision as Dahua has many more options for better sensors and infrared capabilities.

LoinKing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, already have 8 cameras and hikvision nvr. Was mainly hoping to address the false intrusion detection issue, thought if I could get better night color quality that would be great!

What do you think about this one? It says Smart Hybrid-Light and specs says Illumination: IR, White LED