upgrading from Xeon E3-1280 V2 3.60GHz

Reaction score
I bought a box some time ago to run FreeNAS and a few dockers/VMS including plex, rslsync, pihole, unifi controller.
I also added my BlueIris Windows 10 VM to it in an effort to consolidate but the strain is showing and I'm thinking of upgrading.

I run Xeon E3-1280 V2 3.60GHz (passmark 9456 ) with 16 GB of ECC RAM.
128GB SSD for dockers / VMs and a small Red NAS drive for storage.

I did wonder if running BlueIris in a VM this way was causing an overhead.
It does seem to crank the CPU more than other people suggest and I have all the optimisations in place such as direct to disk, no-overlays, etc.
It has sometimes crapped out too and frozen.

everything else I do on the system is lightweight, even plex is just steaming the original files and not transcoding.
Most the setup is 1GB wired.

What I'm looking for is a more stable and power-efficient setup.

Reaction score
I've managed to pick up a HP G2 EliteDesk 800 - Core i7 6700 + 16GB DDR4 RAM
It has a 500GB HDD which I'll replace with an SSD for windows and another for new footage with archiving to my NAS

Having experimented a little I will also reduce CPU load as follows :

Record my 8M and 5MP cameras second stream (which is low res) 24/7 direct to disk.
I will use this stream for motion detecting too.

Then on motion I will record the high res stream direct to disk with
I will also use the "limit decoding unless required" option on these high res records.

I believe I should use H254 as BI / quick sync doesn't support H265 (or + options)?

With the dedicated BI machine recording locally I can also run my NAS on a schedule and only when I need it which is 25% of the time if not less.
I'll schedule archiving of my footage to the NAS every other day or so, maybe once a week if I can get away with it.