Upgrading dvr to NVR setup- best budget 8/16 channel cam nvr?

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you, exactly what I needed.

Found a review on4k and 5mp and I think it may be better to have variety and freedom. My friend likes amcrest but father in law had issues with app connecting ( prob user error lol)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
All the phone apps are dependent on cell signal strength and network traffic. If you ever had a freeway stop inexplicably and everybody starts checking google maps for alternates, people who rarely use it, will have a negative user experience when 2-3000 drivers hit the nearest cell tower and things become congested and unresponsive and sluggish. Same with the Camera apps.

Last edited:

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It was his first setup and prob didn’t put much effort in finding out why he couldn’t view lol, lorex was plug and play for him.

So it seems 4K isn’t really worth it and more “hype” really. Leaning towards all 5mp possibly....thoughts?

thoughts on this setup vs lorexas far as specs or amcrest 4k:
Amcrest UltraHD 5MP Outdoor POE Camera 2592 x 1944p Bullet IP Security Camera, Outdoor IP67 Waterproof, 103° Viewing Angle, 2.8mm Lens, 98.4ft Night Vision, 5-Megapixel, IP5M-B1186EW-28MM (White)
5mp kit—then I could

Amcrest 5MP Security Camera System, 4K 8CH PoE NVR, (4) x 5-Megapixel 2.8mm Wide Angle Lens Weatherproof Metal Bullet POE IP Cameras, Pre-Installed 2TB Hard Drive, NV4108E-IP5M-B1186EW4-2TB (White)
4k kit
Amcrest 4K Security Camera System w/ 4K (8MP) 8CH PoE NVR, (4) x 4K (8-Megapixel) IP67 Weatherproof Metal Bullet POE IP Cameras, Pre-Installed 2TB Hard Drive, NV4108E-IP8M-2496EW4-2TB (White)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe somebody with better credentials can speak to the 8Mp cams. If they have IR then you could see something in the dark.
I have only 4mp and 2 mp cams. If you want to identify people beyond 10-15 feet, you would want a something other than 2.8mm lens. maybe a couple varifocal lens cams. so you can fine tune the focus at a distance that works for your sidewalk/porch/driveway/backyard etc.
But your choices will get you started. then later you can budget for a couple varifocal cams once you get the whole thing going.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Most 4k are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP...4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

When we had a thief come thru here and get into a lot of cars, the police couldn't use one video or photo from anyone's system that had the 4k fixed 2.8mm or 3.6mm cams - those cams sure looks nice and gives a great wide angle view, but you cannot identify anyone at 15 feet out. At night you cannot even ID someone from 10 feet. Meanwhile, the perp didn't come to my house but walked past on the sidewalk at 80 feet from my house and my 2MP varifocal zoomed in to a point at the sidewalk was the money shot for the police that got my neighbors all there stolen stuff back.

In fact my system was the only one that gave them useful information. Not even my other neighbors $1,300 4k Lorex system from Costco provided useful info - the cams just didn't cut it at night. His system wasn't even a year old and after that event he has started replacing his 4k cameras with 2MP cameras like mine after seeing my results - fortunately those cams work with his Lorex NVR. He is still shocked a 2MP camera performs better than his 4k cameras... It is all about the amount of light needed and getting the right camera for the right location.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I gave you advice, apparently you didn't bother to read the attachment.
Amcrest and Lorex are both rebranded Dahuas, with features stripped out to lower the price.
Look at the IPCT store for lower cost Dahua options.
Stick with the 4mp on a 1/1.8" chip.

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did read and browse the attachment however then went to store and was looking at cams higher than my price point currently.

any links to keep a system around 6-$700 with nvr and cams?
Also any input on the Costco linked nvr, fusion but can’t find if onvaf compliant. Over the 4k however, not worth it....they get you with the 4k, lure you in lol.