UniFi-Video Products End of Life...

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I watch Lawrence System videos and his latest one talks about UniFi discontinuing their UniFi-Video product. No more cloud, security updates, etc in Jan 2021. Don't have any, but I thought I'd mention it...

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I looked at Unifi when I was deciding on my setup as I have other Unifi gear, but ultimately chose against it because it wasnt cost effective and it appeared to be possibly EOL sometime soon (lots of other people saw it on the wall too). Glad I didnt go with it in the end.

Last edited:

Shotglasspeppa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm an advocate of Unifi for networking purposes. Outside of that, their cameras and security suite is overpriced junk. Stay far away from any of it. I'm not surprised some of it is going eol and won't be surpsied when they stop doing security stuff altogether.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm an advocate of Unifi for networking purposes. Outside of that, their cameras and security suite is overpriced junk. Stay far away from any of it. I'm not surprised some of it is going eol and won't be surpsied when they stop doing security stuff altogether.
Remember they did exactly the same thing with the sqare AP points WHILE they was still for sale. I bought two AP points, then a week later got the message they was now EOL and if I wanted to upgrade I had to buy new. I like unifi, but this EOL is just to get people to buy more hardware

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Their cameras are absolute garbage. I like the APs and switches and other radio gear.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had bought 3 cameras (2 Flex & 1 mini dome) when I first started. Ran Unifi Video on a linux box. Shortly after that I switched to Blue Iris and the cameras work great with BI.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Remember they did exactly the same thing with the sqare AP points WHILE they was still for sale. I bought two AP points, then a week later got the message they was now EOL and if I wanted to upgrade I had to buy new. I like unifi, but this EOL is just to get people to buy more hardware
Same for their In-Wall AP Pros. I have 6 APs in my house, 3 are the In-Wall Pros and I just bought one less than a year ago. Probably going to go with Ruckus on the next go-round.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same for their In-Wall AP Pros. I have 6 APs in my house, 3 are the In-Wall Pros and I just bought one less than a year ago. Probably going to go with Ruckus on the next go-round.
What? Seriously - I also just about a year ago bought AP Pro after the sqaure ones got EOL and now those are going EOL too? I Dont think Im going to go on with unifi if the devices are useable just a couple of years

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Their In-Wall Pro is now EOL as of a few weeks ago. The AP Pros are not (yet).

In Wall Pro.jpg

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ah, I was confusing the AP Pro with the AC Pro.

Yeah, 3 of my access points are now LTS...the three newest ones I've added to my house.

EOL.jpg

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so im guessing your two ufo ones goes into LTS any minute now too

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
so im guessing your two ufo ones goes into LTS any minute now too
I'm actually surprised they haven't yet....considering they've introduced the HD and nanoHD along with the SHD and XD...all basically in the same form factor.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have to find an alternative to unify. I cant afford paying 1000USD in new AP every 1-2 years

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have to find an alternative to unify. I cant afford paying 1000USD in new AP every 1-2 years
They are pretty much the "budget" AP manufacturer in the Enterprise space.

What needs do you have?

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are pretty much the "budget" AP manufacturer in the Enterprise space.

What needs do you have?
My needs are to have hardware that does not actively block you from configure them after 1-2 years. Even if its no more updates they should be able to be configured at least, not having to run them on a separate controller.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As WiFi 6 and other newer standards come online with new phones, tablets, devices, etc, I'll expect to upgrade access points to keep up.

My main problem with Unifi is that every once in a while, they just drop off and I have to re-adopt/provision. It doesn't happen often and when they work, they have worked great.

On a positive note, after it dropped off, I had one access point that just wouldn't adopt. Got on with tech support and did a little bit of troubleshooting and they ended up overnighting me a replacement AP...no questions, receipt, etc. and pretty sure I never registered any product.

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
after 7 years of running unifi video (which was provided for free) i can't really understand the current criticism. since 2 years unifi video is clearly not actively developed any more and sooner or later cloud services will be discontinued. if an msp complains about this today, he simply didn't do his job properly. it's not a paid service, so you can hardly expect an "unlimited" offer.

the cameras may not be the best and the unifi video software may not have as many features as other vendors. but from the point of view of our end users, the software/UI was a quantum leap compared to mobotix mxmaster or other solutions. also the automation of the server software and firmware updates was simple and, unlike other vendors, a self-running process that required comparatively little support for our it & facility teams. with the g3 pro cameras and later the g3 flex series, there have been quite acceptable (outdoor) cameras for a few years now. in my opinion, the prices are okay for a camera that offers 5 years of firmware support with high automation of the software and complete hardware offloding.

but with the announcement of unifi protect we have not done any more rollouts with ubnt hardware. the first unifi protect nvr's were much too small and it is not possible to run the camera on your own (highly available) server hardware.

Last edited:

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah, I was confusing the AP Pro with the AC Pro.

Yeah, 3 of my access points are now LTS...the three newest ones I've added to my house.
i understand what you mean, but the AC hardware design is from 2015 => so it´s the typical EOL cycle for ubnt hardware.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ubiquiti and all public companies have to answer to the street which means they have to grow their business (or provide a nice dividend). Lots of these tech companies have moved towards a subscription/term license model. The street loves that recurring revenue model - whether it's license renewals or refreshing hardware.