Unifi Dream Machine

Covert One

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just saw this as it appears to be a new product from Ubiquiti. I am curious if anyone has this device and can comment. It appears as a moderately inexpensive way to begin an Unifi eco system for home given the integration of devices in the unit.

Reaction score
Ditched my Asus x10 nighthawk gaming router for a UDM 2 months ago. Finally, multiple VLANS! Very happy with the UDM for my at home purposes.

Reaction score
One really nice thing is the ease of setting up VLAN's. I feared having to really dig down and learn VLAN's when I have other matters going on in life that need addressing rather than learning too much tech stuff. Luckily, setting up VLAN's is a 30 second thing on the UDM

Railgun

n3wb
Reaction score
I already have a bit of a Unifi ecosystem; a USG-3, six switches, and six access point with a dedicated controller on a VM. I would like this product because the performance is considerably better than the current USG I have. However, you can’t add this to an existing controller. It has a built-in controller only. Which I don’t want.

It’s a bit of a shame really, because UBNT is kind of a mess with their product offerings at the moment.

Reaction score
Correct. This UDM is more for small business / home use router. Serves my purposes perfectly :) IPS, firewall, VLAN's, easily manage Ubiquiti switch, etc.
Wouldn't purchase for an enterprise system though.
My last router was a $300+ ASUS X10 Nighthawk. The signal strength of WiFi of both bands were perfect for my 1200 sq ft home. But super lacking in lots of other areas (no vlans for example). Though, simple to setup OpenVPN

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Correct. This UDM is more for small business / home use router. Serves my purposes perfectly :) IPS, firewall, VLAN's, easily manage Ubiquiti switch, etc.
Wouldn't purchase for an enterprise system though.
My last router was a $300+ ASUS X10 Nighthawk. The signal strength of WiFi of both bands were perfect for my 1200 sq ft home. But super lacking in lots of other areas (no vlans for example). Though, simple to setup OpenVPN
does the UDM support OpenVPN in the GUI? The USG does not in the GUI.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have the UDM Pro, I suppose you could say it's on the expensive side, but I wanted a rack-mounted device, to complement my 24 port Unifi switch and patch panels. I could be wrong but everything else, software wise, is the same except for in-built Wi-Fi. I'm a home-user, setup a few VLANS and all just seems to work. I run 11 cameras on their own VLAN and other stuff on different VLANs.

Where I live, the estate only has one ISP provider (Telstra) and it's Fibre to the modem. That will change next year. Anyway, on our residents group Facebook page, there are heaps of posts where people claiming the internet is down or the internet is slow, and basically end up Telstra (ISP) bashing. At these times I've not had any issues with the internet being down or slowed down. I suspect that it's not the outside infrastructure at fault but their modem/router, which is provided by the ISP. At other times they're posting slow speeds but it's via WiFi method and when it's pointed out to connect a wire and then check speeds, some, it's just too hard. Anyway, the point is my UDM Pro hasn't missed a beat, well, not that I'm aware of.

Reaction score
I have the UDM Pro, I suppose you could say it's on the expensive side, but I wanted a rack-mounted device, to complement my 24 port Unifi switch and patch panels. I could be wrong but everything else, software wise, is the same except for in-built Wi-Fi. I'm a home-user, setup a few VLANS and all just seems to work. I run 11 cameras on their own VLAN and other stuff on different VLANs.

Where I live, the estate only has one ISP provider (Telstra) and it's Fibre to the modem. That will change next year. Anyway, on our residents group Facebook page, there are heaps of posts where people claiming the internet is down or the internet is slow, and basically end up Telstra (ISP) bashing. At these times I've not had any issues with the internet being down or slowed down. I suspect that it's not the outside infrastructure at fault but their modem/router, which is provided by the ISP. At other times they're posting slow speeds but it's via WiFi method and when it's pointed out to connect a wire and then check speeds, some, it's just too hard. Anyway, the point is my UDM Pro hasn't missed a beat, well, not that I'm aware of.
I had....some issue... something completely wiped my config. Not sure what happened but I factory reset, installed latest greatest firmware.
Other than that...it works great. I do not need 1000000000MB fiber connection to my house so the limit of 850mb down with the UDM is fine with me. Nor did I need the extra ports as I already have a Ubiquiti 48 port managed POE switch.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Only thing that bothers me is that the UDM Pro does not support ONVIF. I will be having a waste HDD bay if I opt for this. I know the UDM-non Pro can reach gigabit speeds even with the Intrusion detection and prevention are both on. Other option is Pfsense but takes time to configure. I might have to just close my eyes and go for the UDM Pro :( The SE just came out and that is even more expensive at $500! :eek: Nothing special about it apart from ports being PoE capable and 128gb on board SSD provided you use UniFi protect

Reaction score
Only thing that bothers me is that the UDM Pro does not support ONVIF. I will be having a waste HDD bay if I opt for this. I know the UDM-non Pro can reach gigabit speeds even with the Intrusion detection and prevention are both on. Other option is Pfsense but takes time to configure. I might have to just close my eyes and go for the UDM Pro :( The SE just came out and that is even more expensive at $500! :eek: Nothing special about it apart from ports being PoE capable and 128gb on board SSD provided you use UniFi protect
I am unaware of what you mean by 'UDM does not support ONVIF'. Does that relate to cameras?
What bugs me about the UDM series is that you can not see who is logged on to the internal VPN as a client. Also, pulling up firewall logs (did a packet pass thru or drop? who knows!) is non-existant. Other than that... I like the GUI interface, it allows me to setup subnets & vlans, has firewall rules and built in VPN server, it is Unifi so can manage my Ubiquiti switch and AP from 1 controller. It has it's ups and downs.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, related to cameras, I was hoping we could use our cameras along with the UDM-Pro so that it can record video as well, similar to NAS-setups. If you tried Synology or QNAP, both NAS systems are compatible with Dahua/Hikivision cameras because these NAS setups support ONVIF. The hard drive bay that comes with the UDM-Pro only is only intended for UniFi cameras and their Protect system :( Essentially splurging $100 extra for no reason, making the UDM rack mountable for $100 is on the high end. I would never opt for UniFi cameras even though their daytime performance are said to be flawless. One model (1080p) goes for $79 :rofl:

I am unaware of what you mean by 'UDM does not support ONVIF'. Does that relate to cameras?
What bugs me about the UDM series is that you can not see who is logged on to the internal VPN as a client. Also, pulling up firewall logs (did a packet pass thru or drop? who knows!) is non-existant. Other than that... I like the GUI interface, it allows me to setup subnets & vlans, has firewall rules and built in VPN server, it is Unifi so can manage my Ubiquiti switch and AP from 1 controller. It has it's ups and downs.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The Dream Machine's successor was recently announced. Sucks there are mount rackable options apart from the $379 one :( There needs to be a true successor the USG