Unhide Camera

Pete6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So here is another dumb question from me. I have one camera inside my house. I use it when we travel. Mostly I want to have this hidden from the main window UI and ui3 webview. I set the camera up and made sure it worked. Then, I unEnabled it but it still showed the camera windows and it's IP address and the word Disabled. I didn't like that view so, I checked the Hide box. The camera vanished and, I cannot get it back.

On Page 64 of the pdf manual it says what is in the text below. I have clicked on both camera windows and black space between camera windows - see pics. I cannot find a Show Hidden Cameras item in either menu.

What please am I missing here? Apart from a camera, of course.
Pete
Capture.PNG 20221201_164018.jpg 20221201_164032.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh you are screwed now LOL.

Just kidding.

Go to the BI camera status page (chart looking icon top left) and it will list all your cameras. You can double click one to get back to it.

Then what most of us do is create different groups so that we can more easily hide cameras we don't want to see all the time.

So maybe make a group called ALL and have every camera in that group. Then create another group and call them OUTSIDE and have that be all the outside cameras, etc.

Then top right is a drop down for the camera groups and just select the one you want to see.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a different version than you but I think this will work for ALL versions:

Up at top left , click on "Status" (the graph-looking symbol).
Click on the "cameras" tab.
Find the cam on the list and double-click on it.
It should come up in that cam's "Settings" at the "General" tab.
Find "Hidden" box to the right, UN-check it and then click on "OK' at bottom.
Note that also on that "General" tab page is "disabled" so you can also enable a cam there if it's disabled.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Just kidding.

Go to the BI camera status page (chart looking icon top left) and it will list all your cameras. You can double click one to get back to it.

Then what most of us do is create different groups so that we can more easily hide cameras we don't want to see all the time.

So maybe make a group called ALL and have every camera in that group. Then create another group and call them OUTSIDE and have that be all the outside cameras, etc.

Then top right is a drop down for the camera groups and just select the one you want to see.
Beat me by THAT much! :lmao:

Pete6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys. That worked perfectly.

@wittaj, I have been screwed SO many times it is a miracle I ain't pregnant.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Or if you want to show all hidden cams, you can go to the little pencil in a box icon at the top right. Click that to enter edit mode and the background will turn green. Then right-click on some green space and the pop-up menu will have a selection to show/hide hidden/disabled/inactive cams. Click the icon at the top to exit edit mode.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As you can see, several ways to accomplish the same thing in BI. Let's see you do that in an NVR lol!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I just create a group called "hidden" and put any camera, or camera clone, in that group that I don't want to always display on the main console view. When you switch to view that group all those cameras a right there. No need to disable them at all.

Pete6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Or if you want to show all hidden cams, you can go to the little pencil in a box icon at the top right. Click that to enter edit mode and the background will turn green. Then right-click on some green space and the pop-up menu will have a selection to show/hide hidden/disabled/inactive cams. Click the icon at the top to exit edit mode.
That is what the manual talks about on page 64. It is obvious now you say it that this is a layout edit function. Thanks.

Pete6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just create a group called "hidden" and put any camera, or camera clone, in that group that I don't want to always display on the main console view. When you switch to view that group all those cameras a right there. No need to disable them at all.
Could do that. Only one camera though. I now have three ways to achive what I was after. Thank you.

Pete6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As you can see, several ways to accomplish the same thing in BI. Let's see you do that in an NVR lol!
Right here there are three ways to o this. Nice. I'd try but I no longer have an NVR. I got the refund though.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe a "group" must have more than one member, however. In your case you could just clone a different camera give it a unique name and add it to the "hidden group". I suspect that when you get around to trying AI to filter motion alerts you'll be cloning and hiding more cameras. That is my actual use case for the hidden group. All the clones that do AI are in there to keep the main screen manageable.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You can have a group with a single device. I have my PTZ set up alone in a group that I use to trigger from spotter cams.

A group must have at least one device otherwise it disappears. For @Pete6, that's how you delete a group - remove all of the members. Something that likely will confuse you trying to figure out how to do at some point.

Pete6

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can have a group with a single device. I have my PTZ set up alone in a group that I use to trigger from spotter cams.

A group must have at least one device otherwise it disappears. For @Pete6, that's how you delete a group - remove all of the members. Something that likely will confuse you trying to figure out how to do at some point.
Thanks @Mike A. A good tip. Android works the same way. Remove all the items and the Desktop folder goes away.

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Just kidding.

So I used your suggestion and created a number of groups. The original sorting of the cameras was based on the camera number. However, the camera sort originally established changes when I use groupings. It no longer follows the ascending number of each camera. Does each group need to be sorted to my preference?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do I hide the camera names and those colored bars? I think I had those disabled somehow but now I'm trying to recover my system setup on this new system. Also how do I drag the clips to the other side of the screen? Thanks.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do I hide the camera names and those colored bars?.
Earlier versions: Right-click on any cam, in context menu that pops up, select (uncheck) "Show Camera Names".
Later versions: Right-click on a camera window to turn off borders and/or titles.
Also how do I drag the clips to the other side of the screen?
At top of clip viewer are icons; If you would prefer the clips list to be docked to the right-hand side of the window rather than the left, double-click in a blank space in its toolbar area to the left of the calendar icon. Repeat to move back to the left side.

FWIW, both topics are covered in BI's built-in "Help." :cool:

Last edited:

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, I'm running V5.5.9.6 (Aug01, 2022) and I don't see any "Show Camera Names" anywhere. Thanks.

I really don't remember how to do a lot of things on BI because I never need to touch it. It just runs and runs for years. I was having a panic last night because the status was saying I had an "OVERALLOCATED SHORTAGE" on the disk and I had no idea how to tell BI to stop recording. I never need to do that.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I'm running V5.5.9.6 (Aug01, 2022) and I don't see any "Show Camera Names" anywhere. Thanks.
What about my second line:
"Later versions: Right-click on a camera window to turn off borders and/or titles."
Were you able to move the Clip Viewer to your liking?