Unexpected shutdowns

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Over the last several releases I'm getting a pretty consistent amount of these every day. Anyone else?

5/29/2020 4:10:31 PM App: Restarted after unexpected shutdown (1500/240) (0)

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just happened again...

5/29/2020 4:48:08 PM App: Restarted after unexpected shutdown (-11/240) (0)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
any error in the Windows event log? what OS are you running ?
What version of BI are you running.
is recommend to NOT upgrade unless it is a stable version of BI . I am running 5.2.6.5. I would roll back to the last working version for you

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
any error in the Windows event log? what OS are you running ?
What version of BI are you running.
is recommend to NOT upgrade unless it is a stable version of BI . I am running 5.2.6.5. I would roll back to the last working version for you
I don't see anything in Event Viewer that coincides with the time frame for each of these. I do run the stable version after checking out the new releases. I typically stay on the stable at all times, just temporarily try new versions. Thanks

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am getting these unexpected shutdown errors as well now (Restarted after unexpected shutdown (1500/40)). There is an error in the Application Event Viewer that corresponds to the time BI crashed.

Lately, I have been getting this about once a day.

Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.2.8.3, time stamp: 0x5ec92f68
Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll, version: 14.23.27820.0, time stamp: 0x5d0b2812
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000012de
Faulting process id: 0x2fbc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d636cac8bb5471
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\VCRUNTIME140.dll
Report Id: 632eb626-1aac-4ef7-9b37-90f1aba50f51
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Make sure you report it so it can be investigated.

I've been seeing this too for the last few versions, random crash when a motion trigger occurs, no pattern as far as I can tell. Every time I went to submit a report, I saw a new version and upgraded, hoping that it would solve the problem. Never got around to reporting it myself.

I updated to 5.2.9.6 yesterday, no crash yet.

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make sure you report it so it can be investigated.

I've been seeing this too for the last few versions, random crash when a motion trigger occurs, no pattern as far as I can tell. Every time I went to submit a report, I saw a new version and upgraded, hoping that it would solve the problem. Never got around to reporting it myself.

I updated to 5.2.9.6 yesterday, no crash yet.
5.2.9.6 still has service crashing for me

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I started getting shutdown/restarts yesterday after upgrading to 5.2.9.6. Not running as service.
Sent support an email.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine have stopped, well for the last few days anyway. I closed the GUI, stopped the BI service, then downloaded and installed the latest VC runtimes, the restarted the machine for good measure.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mine's been pretty stable since 5.2.9.6. Hard to say since the service restarts were seemingly random.

Upgraded to 5.2.9.7 yesterday to fix a problem I reported with black screen during playback when display overlay on playback was turned on. Still no unexpected restarts, will continue to monitor for restarts.

jbahlman

n3wb
Reaction score
I had crashes that started after i upgraded to one of the versions with the substreams. What i think happened was when i upgraded, it lost track of the files in the new directory and let them get over 24hrs old. Then once a day when it tried to move the files it was over the storage space and crashed. Once i manually moved the files it stopped crashing. But i had several files from the day i upgraded that weren't getting moved.

On a side note, the clip list also became corrupted at the same tim and now it crashes when i try and rebuild the db. I have a ticket opened and i am trying to get help with that.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One of those earlier crashes also corrupted my clip list, I had to run the rebuild a couple of times before it was successful.

Still keeping my fingers crossed, haven't seen any unexpected restarts on 5.2.9.7. Not sure if that was due to the version change or re-aligning the main and sub stream settings to match (mentioned in another thread).

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine started crashing out and restarting yesterday, did it again this morning. Pretty strange, can’t think what it might be as there seems to be no real pattern.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine still crashes and restarts about once or twice a day. Literally no pattern at all.

My question is: What is restarting it? Usually when something crashes, it just quits. Is this a function of Windows 10 maybe?

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine still crashes and restarts about once or twice a day. Literally no pattern at all.

My question is: What is restarting it? Usually when something crashes, it just quits. Is this a function of Windows 10 maybe?
for me, 5.2.9.17 has been a big improvement and almost eliminated the unexpected service restarts..... I have had two days uptime now with no restarts on 1 of my BI systems and only 1 restart on the 2nd system

this stability along with main (HD) streams now showing in UI3 makes me very happy

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Best solution is to go back to this version, and then wait.
I’ve already tried that version and it still does it. Mine has been doing this since around 5.0.6.0 when I logged a support request. Just also did it today am in .17 at the mo.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still fighting this problem. Has anyone figured this out yet? I tried older versions of BI and nothing has helped yet. I looked at all of my crashes from June 2020, and there is definitely a pattern. Here is a screenshot of an Excel spreadsheet with the last column indicating the hours and minutes between one failure and the next. Definitely a pattern as most of them are 18 to 20 hours apart. Not a coincidence at all, just not sure where to go from here.
Capture.JPG

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've had the unexpected shutdowns as well however since the latest update I've only had 3 since 7/1 so it seems to be getting better.