unable to ssh into DS-2CD2086G2 - resolved

beber-k

n3wb
Reaction score
hi,
i was unable to ssh into DS-2CD2086G2-IU fw v5.5.160 build 210108 (last one from hikvision support site).
i'm not a beginner, what i did was: enabling ssh (webif or Clientdemoen.exe from sdk) and trying all passwords (my own as user admin which works in webgui and ivms-4200 v3.3.1.6 build 20200812, then tried all sorts of gizmos like hiklinux/duhao/12345/admin/123456/root)
username used to ssh was root (at first), then tried with admin.
of course, ssh on port 12 (server asks for pw), i'm in my internal network and the firewall is opened on 22
first time in my life i can't login to ssh server (i setup hundreds)
i don't want to reset the damn thing, i don't get why they didn't offered from web interface the posibility to setup key-onlly login (like every serious software/firmware put into place, see synology, routers like asus etcaetera)
beside complaining (i don't want also to talk to devs, each time i tried they asked i was treted as caged monkey), do you have ideas?
of course i could try saving params thes reset/reload params, but what guarantee do i have the bug transcends this?
ideal, i will of course disable pw login and set my rsa key only login
[2'nd question, without ssh/telnet access, only via webgui, i can remove the illegal login timeout, after trying some pw's he push me this, even if the case for illegel connection block is disabled (this verified via webif and clientdemoen.exe?]
best regards, pierre

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
DS-2CD2086G2-IU fw v5.5.160 build 210108 (last one from hikvision support site).
I've seen 3 different builds of that same baseline version - they are all a bit quirky.
Perhaps an ssh problem is one of the quirks, though I've not noticed that myself.
Maybe try the V5.5.150 version.

beber-k

n3wb
Reaction score
I've seen 3 different builds of that same baseline version - they are all a bit quirky.
Perhaps an ssh problem is one of the quirks, though I've not noticed that myself.
may be, i noticed also quirks in smart events detection, sometimes with intrusion detect recording stuck with no movement and sensitivity lowered up to 10 (that happens in powerful light conditions), then after nothing but some global illumination going down (like 5-6 PM), recording suddenly stops. i'm monitoring a small car parking, camera is installed really in ideal conditions (under a balcony, no direct sunlight and orientation --> inclined like 20 deg down, like the book said, never had a such optimal placement for a surveillance camera except inside some armament/ammo room :) )
for the moment, no downgrade for me, i'll just keep pushing to find a solution
you know why in sdk app clientdemo we can activate telnet but of course telnet doesn't work (connection refused immediately, not even asking for pw, like ssh does)

beber-k

n3wb
Reaction score
well, we can close the topic, he just starts working, in psh obviously.
can't tell why it didn't worked before (i do use copy/paste for pw, i even modified the pw with one more simple, i saw situations where too complex ones gives trouble with ssh login on some linux small devices)
tested with mobaxterm and securecrt (they use that in hikvision pdf example with ssh2 proto only)
ssh activation today was done with clientdemo from sdk, user=admin, pw was my custom admin pw, like it should be.
btw, clientdemo seems like crappy usb phison fw programming software, lot of stuff not clear enough in structure and naming
so next step should be fw patch to access not psh but some useful shell
who limits shell capabilities anyway, ssh is made by design for experienced users anyway...or you give them the possibility to cripple their own devices it they want, like any serious linux distribution

beber-k

n3wb
Reaction score
some people say 5.5.150 is bugged, gonna skip it anyway

beber-k

n3wb
Reaction score
The Batch Config Tool can be a nicer alternative for general configuration :
thanks
i wanted ssh in order to tune some things, maybe 2-step login, sending photo with email without using a pc with blue iris etcaetera
juste tested batch-config-tool, seems a good replacement for ivms-4200, getting Remote cfg/Advanced function works from time to time, this sw works ok.
i'd guess chinese use like -almost- everybody those days 20-year old devs with tight schedules, they never get one fw bug-less. for big clients i'll stay out of this and choose some real stuff, my first contact witk hik seems like with a hobby product, you gotta chase bugs and configs all day long
anyway, you got what you pay