Unable to keep some Dahua NVR settings

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
NVR: Dahua 5208-8P-4KS2
Camera: Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z

Software versions: See attached.

Making changes remotely through the web interface. I have to. The system is *very* remote.

Original problem:
- Unable to receive an email attachment of a motion event. Yes, that old chestnut.
- Followed the guide at Sending Snapshots by E-mail From a DVR When Triggered by Motion Events
- This was somewhat successful. Now receiving a start / stop motion email, but not and email with a photo.

Following the guide, in Setup, Image, Encode, Snapshot, by default, Mode=Timing and Interval=SPL1. The guide recommends that these be changed to Mode=Trigger and Interval=Customized (Adding 30 to the new box). See attached.

The problem is that after I make these changes, press OK, receive the "Change successful" message, navigate away in the menu and come back, the changes are lost. I tried rebooting and redoing the changes. That didn't work.

I had a similar problem with another setting from the guide. In Setup, Event, Video Detection, Motion Detect, by default, Enable is unchecked. See attached. When I checked it, pressed OK, receive the "Change successful" message, navigated away in the menu and came back, the changes were not kept. I rebooted but in this case, found that the changes had been saved.

Dahua "Swiss cheese" software drives me crazy. Especially the web interface.

I was going to try to se whether the settings can be modified by exporting the config under Setup, System, Imp/Exp, Config Export (See attached), modifying them then importing them, but the export file is not in a name/value pair format. It is proprietary. :-(

Attachments

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try making these changes through Smart PSS.
Just installed Smart PSS, went to Device CFG, Camera, Encode, Snapshot and changed Snap Mode from Regular to Trigger. I noticed that Snap Interval was already set to Custom instead of 1. I selected "Save" and it gave me a confirmation. Logged out, went back into the Web Interface and but Mode=Timing and Interval=1 (Notice how different interfaces have different names for the settings. Grrrr.) I then rebooted. Went into Smart PSS and it did have Snap Mode=Trigger, Snap Interval=Custom. So that looked good. Went into the Web Interface and it was still Mode=Timing and Interval=1.

In summary, the change made in Smart PSS seems to be saved.The Web Interface does not seem to be reading or saving the Mode and only saving the Interval. As I said, the software is like Swiss Cheese.

At lease at this stage, by using Smart PSS, it appears that the settings that I am supposedly required to have to get an image emailed to me have been set. I won't know until I get another line crossing and receive three emails (One with an image) instead of just the two I currently receive.

Attachments

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have an issue using the push notifications through the app? You can set the app to give you a clip, live view, or a snapshot. Also, look into deleting the webrec file in you program files, then re-installing it by logging back into the recorder using an IE browser. Make sure all or your active-x settings are enabled in your internet settings - security menu.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
sometimes if the active-x file does not download properly, you get these little glitches. I noticed that playback will not work also, of the webrec file isn't downloaded properly.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have an issue using the push notifications through the app?
I have the gDMSS Plus app installed and just set up a line crossing push notification to see if that works.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Flew to the site. Trying all sorts of stuff now. Right at the terminal...

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm still having issues.

I was getting hundreds of email pairs a day, but not third email with a photo. I realized tonight that I had checked the "motion detect" tab and by default, the entire image was motion activated. That's where the emails were coming from. Now that I unchecked that box, I am getting nothing. So the line crossing wasn't working anyway.

I really don't know where to go any further. Maybe I could post some screen shots of the various setup screens to see if anything jumps out.

This NVR and these cameras used to send me the line crossing emails with photos fine. But now that I've upgraded the Firmware and reset the NVR and cameras, it is no longer working properly.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Something must have been disabled. Start from the beginning. Set up Smart PSS and go into alarm config or event config depending on what version you are using. Set up the line crossing to give you an alert through Smart PSS first, this way you know that the recorder is configured properly. Then set up the email alerts and push notifications through the app.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why would I need to use SmartPSS now that I am sitting right in front of the NVR and can use the console?

I can't actually find line crossing in SmartPSS. Looking now.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Smart PSS will react to the line crossing and has a built in feature where you can configure an alarm or in this case line crossing to give you a visaul pop-up and an audio alert at the same time. I'll post a video of what this looks like in a sec.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Smart PSS is just a Windows software package that provides a local interface that duplicates the functionality of the console. I already had line crossing or intrusion detection functionality working on the NVR and ever through the remote Web interface. So it should still work. I should not need Smart PSS to make this work. It's just another way of communicating with the NVR.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Smart PSS is just a Windows software package that provides a local interface that duplicates the functionality of the console. I already had line crossing or intrusion detection functionality working on the NVR and ever through the remote Web interface. So it should still work. I should not need Smart PSS to make this work. It's just another way of communicating with the NVR.
I'm not saying that you need smart PSS to make this work, I'm saying use Smart PSS to test out your settings to make sure that there is a signal coming out of the recorder. Once you have Smart PSS working then you know that the push notifications will work.