Unable to get motion detection to work

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all I have a hikvision NVR 7608 8 port POE. I have 6 IP cams, I'm trying to setup motion detection.

i have followed numerous videos and manuals on this, but after doing the suggestions the NVR cannot detection motion via the cam. The camera is motion detection capable, I have changed the sensitivity, tried a different camera etc. none of which seem to work.

The he bell icon also does not appear. Is there something wrong with the camera or NVR?

continous record works fine is just motion detection I'm having a serious issue with.

your thoughts and ideas are welcome.

kind regards
Samee

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts...
I assume you're using Hikvision cameras?
Did you log in to the camera to set this up or just the NVR?
Did you set up the arming schedule and linkage?

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi the cameras I have aren't hikvision, but Sony branded ONVIF 2 compatitable.

to setup the camera IP address I had to wire the camera to the PC and set up the IP etc

i have tried setting up the motion detection on the NVR, but I believe there is an option in the CCTV cam to setup motion detection, don't know if this is conflicting etc.
I setup the alarming and on the NVR.

S474N

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cams are connected directly in POE ports of NVR or in LAN?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's very unlikely that you will be able to get motion detection working on ONVIF 2 compliant cameras.
The ONVIF ProfileS spec does not mandate support for the 'push / pull event subscriptions' that can be used for motion detection amongst other things, so it's not commonly implemented.
I've got quite a few ONVIF 2.x compliant cameras, and the only ones that support motion events so far are the Hikvision ones. They do have a genuine ONVIF certification.

You can check what event support your cameras provide by using the very good Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
If you query the camera with ODM, you will be able to see what events if any it supports.
Activate motion detection events in the camera, and walk test it and see what events if any are reported.
Example below, Hikvision DS-2CD3332
For motion detection you really need to use Hikvision cameras with a Hikvision NVR, unless you can be sure that the camera ONVIF support includes the event subscription capabilities.
ONVIF works well for continuous recording - beyond that it's a bit of a lottery.

Attachments

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I swear... I want to post "I didn't know that" on at least half your posts.
Thank you alastairstevenson for sharing your time and information.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi I have been testing the cameras with motion detection, it seems that my browser did not display the ok or cancel buttons therefore it did not save the settings. Therefore I entered compatitability mode and it displayed more options, (don't ask me how). After doing so the ok and cancel options/buttons appeared which meant I could save the settings for motion detection.

I then added the camera to the NVR and it displayed the bell icon and recording icon, only slight issue is it seems to be too sensitive and I will have a play around over the weekend.

thanks for all your support, much appreciated.

kind regards
sam

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done, sounds like a good result.
Did you test that the camera creates (motion) events as seen by ONVIF Device Manager? It would be interesting to know.
That may help others who may be exploring what can be achieved under ONVIF with Hik NVRs.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi sorry for the late reply, I have been testing the cameras and it's becoming a nightmare.

The image you provided does show the output you provided via the ONVIF manager.

motion detection is not that great, If I set the cameras to detect full screen it's records when it seems movement. If I set the motion detection to record a certain area then it's a hit and miss, sometimes it will record me moving past and sometimes it will completely miss this.

i have changed the settings and tried a different camera all of which do the same.

i don't have much idea what I can be doing wrong or if I could change some settings.

any ideas will be helpful.

kind regards
samee

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds like the camera's motion detection capabilities has some limitations. Presumably you've cross-checked what ONVIF Device Manager shows vs the alarm entries in the NVR log?
Are you able to ask Sony tech support about this, or is there a Sony forum for the camera?

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi I have discovered the cameras are OEM, there is not mention the cameras are Sony on the unit. I have purchased them from domarsolutions, I have checked the logs from the cameras via the IP and it does detect the motion, but the NVR sometimes it detects the motion and sometimes it doesn't. When the NVR detects motion it is logged, but again it's hit and miss.