Unable to connect to server

Elinor

n3wb
Reaction score
When I am within the signal of my home LAN, my iPhone 5s running the iOS app version 1.58.00 connects just fine with the server. But as soon as I leave and am using only cell phone internet access, I cannot connect. What is odd is that my app WILL receive alerts if I'm away. I just can't connect and take a look at the full clips.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I am within the signal of my home LAN, my iPhone 5s running the iOS app version 1.58.00 connects just fine with the server. But as soon as I leave and am using only cell phone internet access, I cannot connect. What is odd is that my app WILL receive alerts if I'm away. I just can't connect and take a look at the full clips.
you need to either port forward the webserver port or setup a vpn (more secure)...it wont magically work

Elinor

n3wb
Reaction score
Port forwarding has already been established. With a prior external IP address everything worked fine. Then power was lost to my DSL router, a new external IP address was generated, my iPhone Blue Iris app recognizes and knows about the new address, yet I still cannot connect.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Port forwarding has already been established. With a prior external IP address everything worked fine. Then power was lost to my DSL router, a new external IP address was generated, my iPhone Blue Iris app recognizes and knows about the new address, yet I still cannot connect.
something is set wrong...

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Uninstall and then re-install the app on your phone, for some dumb reason this works on my androids with iVMS

Elinor

n3wb
Reaction score
Silas, I tried uninstalling and re-downloading then re-entering my username, password etc. While inside the LAN and using wifi I confirmed that the iOS app was able to connect to the server. I then turned off wifi and using only the cell connection tried to connect to the server and failed.

Fenderman, I'm not sure which settings you suggest are wrong but on the iPhone the following are set for Blue Iris:
use cellular data; allow notifications; show in Notification center (these come through, by the way, even though I can't connect to the server); sounds; and background App refresh is turned on.

To recap: everything used to work, until a power glitch at the house caused the DSL router to go off. When power was restored, of course the external IP address changed (because I don't have a static one). Blue Iris on the PC in the house knows about the new external IP address, and when I'm within the LAN using Blue Iris on my iPhone, it also knows about the new external IP address.

What else might I try?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Silas, I tried uninstalling and re-downloading then re-entering my username, password etc. While inside the LAN and using wifi I confirmed that the iOS app was able to connect to the server. I then turned off wifi and using only the cell connection tried to connect to the server and failed.

Fenderman, I'm not sure which settings you suggest are wrong but on the iPhone the following are set for Blue Iris:
use cellular data; allow notifications; show in Notification center (these come through, by the way, even though I can't connect to the server); sounds; and background App refresh is turned on.

To recap: everything used to work, until a power glitch at the house caused the DSL router to go off. When power was restored, of course the external IP address changed (because I don't have a static one). Blue Iris on the PC in the house knows about the new external IP address, and when I'm within the LAN using Blue Iris on my iPhone, it also knows about the new external IP address.

What else might I try?
how are you updating your phone with the new ip? are you using an ddns service? are you using blue iris's built in ddns type service?

Elinor

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping up with this thread.
I'm using the Blue Iris built-in ddns service. The resulting external URL has been verified to match the modem external address.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping up with this thread.
I'm using the Blue Iris built-in ddns service. The resulting external URL has been verified to match the modem external address.
is the port number correct?
also make sure you have not selected https in the app..

Elinor

n3wb
Reaction score
The port number is correct. In the app, http:// is selected not https

Elinor

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah ha. Open Port Check Tool reports that the port in question is closed. The local ip address of the pc is unchanged.

Elinor

n3wb
Reaction score
Port forwarding is set on the DSL Router to the port we want to use, for the IP address of the Blue Iris server. This is the port reported as "closed". The Blue Iris PC was turned off and on. The program came up and sees everything. Tried using the iPhone on cell only and it still failed to connect to the server.

How do I open the closed port?

Elinor

n3wb
Reaction score
Worried that the firewall was somehow interfering, I turned it off. But the port is still closed.

Elinor

n3wb
Reaction score
Solved!

On a whim I decided to remove the port forwarding setting on the DSL router and then re-enter it. I also opted to select TCP/UDP protocols rather than just TCP. I applied the re-entered settings for the server IP address. Am thinking that somehow the table of these values became corrupted in the router and re-entering fixed it.

Ta da! iPhone now connects to the server when only on cell phone and outside of the LAN.

Thank you very much, Fenderman, for your help in sleuthing this out. With the next power outage, if this happens again, I'll know how to reset it and be off running again.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Solved!

On a whim I decided to remove the port forwarding setting on the DSL router and then re-enter it. I also opted to select TCP/UDP protocols rather than just TCP. I applied the re-entered settings for the server IP address. Am thinking that somehow the table of these values became corrupted in the router and re-entering fixed it.

Ta da! iPhone now connects to the server when only on cell phone and outside of the LAN.

Thank you very much, Fenderman, for your help in sleuthing this out. With the next power outage, if this happens again, I'll know how to reset it and be off running again.
Elinor, I'm glad Fenderman got you going and I understand it works OK now when on cellular (the WAN) but am wondering if this would happen again if you had another power outage, so I have 2 questions:
1) When setting the port forward in your DSL modem did you forward to a device ( name of BI server) or to a specific IP address (of BI server)?
2) If the answer to #1 above is 'IP address', is your BI server configured with a static IP or is it set to DHCP (router assigns IP) ?

Elinor

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi TonyR--
The port forward in the DSL modem is set to a specific IP address of the computer in our house on which the Blue Iris server runs. My Blue Iris server is configured to DHCP. I have not seen this IP change with a power cycle. But today I'll run some experiments and if any wisdom comes from 'em I'll post back here.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should definitely set the BI server to have a static IP and if possible also reserve that IP in the router.

The reason why the BI server's IP did not change with power cycling THIS time is that no other device took that IP and the server was ready sooner and 'lucked' out. Oftentimes after a power cycle when another device other than the BI server requests and gets an IP before the BI server is ready to accept, the IP previously used by the BI sever is assigned to the other device and the BI server gets a new IP.

Elinor

n3wb
Reaction score
You're right. To correct what I'd said earlier, it’s not a “static IP” but it is assigned at the router to the permanently leased list table. To make my set up less vulnerable I will also make it "static".